Japan Jokes

Discuss the comic strip!

Japan Jokes

Postby Yino on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 pm

I guess it's ok to do Japan jokes now. Took you long enough.
And concerned Artie is a weird view.
<insert signature>
Yino

Re: Japan Jokes

Postby Dave on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Well, Artie may have problems, but he's not heartless.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Yino on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:26 am

Yes, I acknowledge he has a heart, but it doesn't have to be a good one.
He strikes me more like thinking "Hmmmm Japanese radiactive mimes"
<insert signature>
Yino

Postby Dave on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Aaaaand, I think you just tainted the rest of my morning :p
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Yino on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Just your morning? Gotta do better next time :p
<insert signature>
Yino

Postby MadCat on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:31 am

Score one for Yino! Woo! :mrgreen:
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Yino on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 pm

I'd like to know what the yellow letters spell. From what is shown I can read, Keep you B...... Clean up Af(ter?)...
Also, Squishy Ball getting kidnapped on the second panel! :O. I'm guessing it's Helen.

On a more serious/unserious note after reading Treb's blog post:
Yes, Japan is a serious mattter, but should we really hold back from making jokes because of that? I recall from the Chilean earthquake, while we were without electricity, water and holding guard from thieves and hordes, we were actually making jokes. Most of them included 2012 stuff. Overdramatic serious people were not quite helpful. And when I had internet again and I started reading the internet, I actually laughed at the jokes, and I recall most of them were done by other chileans.
My point being, we have to be careful when making jokes about disasters."Haha, your mom is dead" miiiiiiiight be on the offending side. But holding back entirely is no good either, humor is quite helpful in needed times.
<insert signature>
Yino

Postby Dave on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 pm

@Yino
Check out panel 5 to read the board
http://www.direman.com/squishy/comic.php?comicID=476
Dave

Postby Yino on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:46 am

"Keep your break room neat, clean up after yourselves" -B
Thank you Dave :)
<insert signature>
Yino

Postby trebuchet on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:23 am

Hey gang! Good to be back on the forums after a bit of an absence.

@Yino: I want to make something clear: my blog was not implying that we shouldn't make jokes at Japan's expense (case in point: our strip does that very thing). If anything, both good and bad jokes bring attention to what's going on there so, in the end, it's a good thing. Having said that, I also don't want to be insensitive to people who have suffered greatly - even to the point of loss of life.

You mentioned that a "mom joke" would be going too far but who is the ultimate judge of that? Being Chilean you have the proper perspective of what jokes crossed a line with you and what jokes didn't. I think only the Japanese can truly appreciate what is "too far" and what isn't in this case.

Also keep in mind cultural differences too. The Japanese have a different view of propriety than we here in the West. Remember when that American submarine accidentally sank a Japanese fishing vessel? The Japanese people were furious with the captain of that submarine for not immediately apologizing for the incident even though it wasn't quite clear yet as to who's fault it was. To us Americans his reticence to apologize was quite acceptable given that all the facts were not yet known. To the Japanese a sincere apology is merely good manners, not an automatic admission of guilt as it is here in the U.S.

Lastly, I hope my response doesn't come off as being "pissed off" at you. It's very hard to convey tone on forums. I hope that you have a deeper understanding of why I wrote that blog.
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Next

Return to Squishy Comics