Discuss the comic strip!

Postby jetstream on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:27 pm

So... uh...

What's your point?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no "Birther," but the point isn't that people born outside the US are incompetent to lead the US; the point is that if Obama wasn't born in the US, he cannot legally be the President. It doesn't MATTER if he's Jesus himself, if he's not natural born, by the Constitution he cannot sit the office.

Honestly this comic comes off a little... fatuous.

That said... well... duh, he was born in Hawaii. Why are we even giving this argument as much dignity as we are?
jetstream

Re: #685

Postby bethzania on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Because he looks black and therefore can't be as 'merican as us lilywhiters. None of those folks featured in the strip would have been considered whitey at the time they immigrated (Irish, Jewish, and Jewish respectively).

As an internet friend put it, first Tea Partiers forced anyone in Arizona with a bit of pigment to show their papers, then they got the president to do it.

http://www.baratunde.com/blog/2011/4/27/with-president-obamas-birth-certificate-klansman-trump-remin.html
i see a punk club; he sees a strip bar
bethzania

Postby jetstream on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:49 pm

You mean people are taking Trump's half-assed publicity stunt seriously too?

Why?
jetstream

Postby trebuchet on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:12 am

Actually, the point is that it DOES matter if he were Jesus 'cause Jesus - never mind that he could frickin' walk on water - could never become President of the United States of America. Even if he loved this country to death he could never become President! Bianca and Squishy were "born" on U.S. soil so, technically, they could run for President even though one is a demon from hell and the other is the byproduct of the Tobacco companies' addiction campaign. I thought the point was pretty obvious: the law is ludicrous and its proponents are now brandishing it as a weapon against Obama.
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby Dan on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:40 am

I swear that their next argument is going to be that he's not a natural born citizen because his mother had a caesarian.
*stab*
Well, I'm alright.
-Malcom Reynolds "Serenity"
Dan

Postby Panda S. H. on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Point of information on the whole damn thing.

The constitution requires that the President be a "natural born citizen" (except for the first handful that fell under some grandfather clause type shit, but that's been irrelevant for going on 190 years). This means that the presidential candidates have to be born citizens. The misconceptions surrounding what qualifies US citizenship by birth needs to be fixed.

There are three ways to be a US citizen:
1. You are born on US soil. (Foreign military bases, contrary to popular belief do not count--they are special cases, yes. Not the same however.) ((For instance, if you had been born in a Japanese consulate in San Fransisco --I don't know if there is one there, but probs--I'm 80% sure that you'd be considered a US citizen. There's just more paperwork involved in that kind of thing.))

2. You apply for citizenship and qualify.

3. One or both of your parents are US citizens with residency at the time of your birth. ((What automatically qualifies Obama__EVEN IF__ he was born in Indonesia.))

rant/

For gods' sakes, McCain was born in Panama and no body fucking questioned him. It makes me sick that people want to pick and chose what qualities are okay to attack and what aren't. If you don't like our president because his birth father was muslim--tough shit. You're stuck with him for another two years unless you do something stupid like attempt assassination. The best thing about this country is that you can be dislpeased with your leaders for whatever reason you want. It's called fucking democracy and if you don't like it you can go somewhere the hell else.

Just be sure to help support the campaign of the individual you want in the seat next time around and maybe you won't have that problem. Voter apathy does nothing to help the situation.

/end rant.

Sorry. ^_^'' Being from a military town doesn't really help my opinion of people that assume to support democracy but always hate and degrade the results. The president has more important issues to deal with than looking over his shoulder to ensure that his countrymen aren't trying to stab him or stick notes to his back. It's absolutely ridiculous.
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby trebuchet on Sun May 01, 2011 12:04 am

Thanks for that info Panda. Informative, as usual.

Unfortunately, I think this pattern of disruptive behavior will continue ad infinitum. Remember when they impeached Clinton? Come to think of it, if the worst thing they can say about Obama is that he wasn't born on U.S. soil then that's the best endorsement we've had for a President since Hinkley shot Reagan. ;)
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby Jayleia on Sun May 01, 2011 11:17 am

Panda S. H. wrote:For gods' sakes, McCain was born in Panama and no body fucking questioned him. It makes me sick that people want to pick and chose what qualities are okay to attack and what aren't. If you don't like our president because his birth father was muslim--tough shit. You're stuck with him for another two years unless you do something stupid like attempt assassination. The best thing about this country is that you can be dislpeased with your leaders for whatever reason you want. It's called fucking democracy and if you don't like it you can go somewhere the hell else.

Just be sure to help support the campaign of the individual you want in the seat next time around and maybe you won't have that problem. Voter apathy does nothing to help the situation.

The panama thing is something I bring up *EVERY* time someone does the birther thing. Of course, I also point out that THOSE questions never got any traction. Never mind that it was only a rumor that Obama wasn't born here, and a confirmed fact that McCain was born in Panama. And then I wonder outloud if there might be something COLORING people's judgement (though I've not used that phrase for that before...I think next time I will use that phrase...)
Jayleia

Postby Panda S. H. on Sun May 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Treb, as an elementary school kid, I unfortunately don't remember much about anything involving Clinton being impeached.... >_> I thought that there was a movement to impeach him and it failed. And the whole argument is going back to my idea that the US is conservative and liberal in all the wrong places.

Jayleia: McCain was also born on a military base while the Panama Canal was operating under US control. His parents--or father, I don't recall--were active duty military at the time. No one questions that on the Republican side. Ever. ((Because of that, lying about service is like... the worst thing possible. I think Bush Jr had some problem with that...)) It's not so much color at this stage in our history--undoubtedly, some are still acting because of it--but because of hie "ties" to the Islamic world.

I know people that don't like our president because of his policies or his commitment to his campaign promises. I respect those people. ( I couldn't vote last time around so I don't really care. I feel it's not much of my place to judge what I didn't have a hand in creating.)
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby fireraven on Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 am

Panda S. H. wrote:Point of information on the whole damn thing.

The constitution requires that the President be a "natural born citizen" (except for the first handful that fell under some grandfather clause type shit, but that's been irrelevant for going on 190 years). This means that the presidential candidates have to be born citizens. The misconceptions surrounding what qualifies US citizenship by birth needs to be fixed.

There are three ways to be a US citizen:
1. You are born on US soil. (Foreign military bases, contrary to popular belief do not count--they are special cases, yes. Not the same however.) ((For instance, if you had been born in a Japanese consulate in San Fransisco --I don't know if there is one there, but probs--I'm 80% sure that you'd be considered a US citizen. There's just more paperwork involved in that kind of thing.))

2. You apply for citizenship and qualify.

3. One or both of your parents are US citizens with residency at the time of your birth. ((What automatically qualifies Obama__EVEN IF__ he was born in Indonesia.))

rant/

For gods' sakes, McCain was born in Panama and no body fucking questioned him. It makes me sick that people want to pick and chose what qualities are okay to attack and what aren't. If you don't like our president because his birth father was muslim--tough shit. You're stuck with him for another two years unless you do something stupid like attempt assassination. The best thing about this country is that you can be dislpeased with your leaders for whatever reason you want. It's called fucking democracy and if you don't like it you can go somewhere the hell else.

/end rant.

Sorry. ^_^'' Being from a military town doesn't really help my opinion of people that assume to support democracy but always hate and degrade the results. The president has more important issues to deal with than looking over his shoulder to ensure that his countrymen aren't trying to stab him or stick notes to his back. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I would also like to add to what you've said. The term "Natural born citizen" is used in the constitution so let me bring in some dictionary definitions here.

--------

natural (ˈnætʃrəl, -tʃərəl) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— adj
4. not acquired; innate

born
   [bawrn] Show IPA
–adjective
brought forth by birth.

cit·i·zen
   [sit-uh-zuhn, -suhn] Show IPA
–noun
a native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection

------
Now under this condition of "Natural born citizen" as long as one of his parents was an American citizen prior to his birth, which his mother was, it doesn't matter where he was born because at birth he was a US citizen. To deny this would make not only McCain ineligible but any person born on a US military base, say in South Korea for example, or during a vacation or visiting relatives oversea or cross border as well.
fireraven

Next

Return to Squishy Comics