High Fantasy

Discuss the comic strip!

High Fantasy

Postby Yino on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:58 pm

What constitutes High Fantasy. I leave the topic open.
On my personal side, I don't like to brand stories as high something when that something is as wide and vague as fantasy, it either is or it isn't. This is mainly because of my experience as developer and my subsequent aversion to categorize stuff. I'll always prefer labels and tags. I'd like to know if the story covers each topic independently, if it have dragons, witches, magic, knights, etc. Not just a whole "it has fantasy", that's too vague.
<insert signature>
Yino

Re: High Fantasy

Postby Dave on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Alternate fictional world (not earth), existence of magic (wizards, witches and the like), and fantasy creatures (dragons and dire wolves, etc.). Hit those three marks and I feel comfortable calling it it "high fantasy".

Discworld, Middle Earth, Narnia, Azeroth, Hyrule and Tamriel, to name a few, qualify.

Gray areas would be Harry Potter. They hit the marks on magic and fantasy creatures, but it's still earth.

Mind you, this is fairly arbitrary. these are just the conditions which mark where I'm comfortable using the term "high fantasy".
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Return to Squishy Comics