Forum RPG-inspired story snippet

Discuss the literature!

Forum RPG-inspired story snippet

Postby MadCat on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:59 am

So, the forum RPG we've started has been inspiring me lately, making me want to write more about my character, Terrance Chamberlain. The nifty characters everyone made, the cool story hook about 'immortality', etc... so I started writing some stuff for my own amusement, unrelated to the actual RPG, because I like the character and might re-use him in a different way sometime, possibly a reworking of my last NaNoWriMo attempt.

Despite the fact that my writing isn't of the same caliber as some of the real writers of this site, I felt like posting what I'd written here. I must be a masochist. :oops: Anyway, wasn't someone saying we should be posting more short stories? So that's my excuse. Heh. Here, have a mediocre story:

When he was fifteen years old, young Terrance Reginald Fitzpatrick Chamberlain (the Third) knew with a fair bit of youthful certainty exactly how his life would unfold. His noble lineage and the properties he would one day inherit had laid his course since the moment he was born: he would receive the finest schooling, learn all the gentlemanly arts of deportment, and be every inch the proper heir to his family name. He would take a wife of impeccable breeding and character, and father children he would raise in the manner in which he had been raised, perpetuating the family legacy for another generation.

Deviation from this plan was Simply Unthinkable, of course. So as he had grown, his unruly hair was tamed, any rough edges of his character polished away, any ungentlemanly thoughts or desires swiftly suppressed. By the time he was fifteen years old, young Chamberlain understood exactly his place in the world and exactly how he ought to behave in it. So when he found himself on the grounds of a carnival with a few of his fencing team-mates, he had exactly no interest, really, when one of them spotted a gypsy fortune-teller offering to reveal one’s fate.

“Come on, lads, we must give it a go! It’s a real gypsy! Perhaps she can tell me if Miss Beckett will go with me to the year-end ball?” Woodward, a lanky young man a year older than Chamberlain but sloppier in his fencing, looked enchanted by the very idea, clapping companionable arms over the shoulders of Chamberlain and Marshall and letting them carry a bit of his weight, causing them all to sway.

“If you’re so enamoured of Miss Beckett you might simply ask her,” Chamberlain suggested, trying and failing to extricate himself from Woodward’s grasp. “Or go see this gypsy woman, if you’re so inclined.”

“I can’t see her by myself; that’s no fun!” Woodward complained. “Besides, we’ve got to hang together, for the good of the team. Right, Marshall?” He squeezed their companion tighter for a moment, ruffling his hair, which the solidly-built young man took with his usual unflappable patience, looking in the direction of the booth.

“We ought as well,” he shrugged, glancing back at Chamberlain. “You know he shan’t give us a moment’s peace, otherwise.” His tone was wryly sympathetic; they were both used to Woodward’s tendencies through long exposure, and Chamberlain sighed, nodding assent.

“All right then, but be quick about it; we don’t want to miss evening practice,” Chamberlain acquiesced, reaching into his pocket for a few bills as they approached the booth. The old gypsy woman’s gaze floated slowly upward toward his face as she accepted the bills, and her expression twisted into a mixture of pity and apology as she studied him, her eyes suddenly sharp and intense, and he found himself unable to look away.

“Poor young lord,” she murmured lowly, “You shall have all you could ever ask for in life... but never the one thing you want, not even if you live a hundred years.” She patted his hand gently, turning away toward Woodward, and Chamberlain could finally move, breathe... and acknowledge that the hollow feeling that had blossomed below his breastbone was where the last of his hope had once lived; the hope that he might be something different, might truly be himself and not what was expected of him.

Blinking away the swimming brightness from his eyes, he wondered if it was better that he knew, that he had time to accept his fate and brush away the withered remnants of what he might have wished for; or if it would have been better if he’d been able to hold on to his dreams, tucked away to take strength from as he walked the path that had been laid for him.

When he was thirty years old, Terrance Reginald Fitzpatrick Chamberlain III, Esq. sat at his desk and thought about destiny. He remembered that day when he was fifteen years old, and the final offhand question Woodward had thrown at the fortune-teller out of his usual sense of whimsy, as Chamberlain had moved to leave the booth.

“Well, what if he lives more than a hundred years, then?” Woodward had asked, a lopsided grin stretching his face as he squeezed Chamberlain’s shoulder, but his eyes were sympathetic.

The fortune teller glanced at Woodward for a moment before looking back at Chamberlain, who took a deep breath, wishing he were somewhere else, alone, where he might be able to cry and no one would ever know. Then the old woman’s lips quirked in a smile, and she gave him a conspiratorial wink.

“More than a hundred years, then, that’s when it may get interesting.”

Chamberlain smiled faintly, reflecting on her words, and his life thus far. Of course, no one really lived more than a hundred years, save for a handful of frail old people who simply hadn’t yet succumbed to death, or the mystical ancient monks of the Orient, with their strangely youthful natures. But it helped just a little, sometimes, to imagine he might one day be truly happy. Only sixty-odd years to go, and all.

Glancing out the window, over the grassy expanse of his property as the wind moved through the trees, Chamberlain decided it might not hurt to be at least a little bit happy now; there were many pleasures to be had in life, after all, even if one couldn’t have everything they truly wanted.

“I think I shall have an adventure,” he announced to his study. Of course none of his business papers responded to his assertion, but he felt better about it regardless. “After all, every gentleman ought to have at least one adventure in his life, oughtn’t he?” He nodded decisively, and resolved to find a grand adventure at the earliest possible opportunity.

But first... tea.
Last edited by MadCat on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Re: Forum RPG-inspired story snippet

Postby trebuchet on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:48 am

Nice. Very nice.

I'm hooked. :)
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby MadCat on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm very glad you liked it. Thank you! :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Panda S. H. on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:39 pm

:3 Tea? Yes, please.

Oh, and "Woodward" is "Woodrow" at one point. :<

If I get time to write a snippet for my pet(s), may I post it in this thread???
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby MadCat on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Ah, thank you for noticing the Woodward/Woodrow mistake; I'll fix that.

And yes, if you come up with RPG-inspired snippets, please write them here! That goes for everyone else in the game, too! I'd love to read more about all the awesome characters people created! :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Yino on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 am

Great Story Madcat! I'll see the chance to add a little extra of story for my character as well :)
<insert signature>
Yino

Postby MadCat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:15 am

Woo hoo! I look forward to reading it!
MadCat
=^-^=

Return to Short Stories