DMC4

Discuss the column!

DMC4

Postby David Yun on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:58 am

Turo! Anyone who calls Devil May Cry "style over substance" is someone who can't pull off the badass, fuckingly awesome combos. Still haven't had time to dive into 4, but 1 and 3 are eclipsed only by Ninja Gaiden. I'd say that God of War is more guilty of "style over substance", and that was an American production.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: DMC4

Postby Parsifal on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:18 am

I have a problem with the kind of "smug flash" that "Devil May Cry" pulls off in each game. I just find it annoying. I had a decent enough time with the first, even with Dante swaggering around and shooting things behind his back as he smirked at the camera while in mid-air. I went with it but it was a little irksome. When the producer stated his goal was to make not concentrate on the set mechanics and "Make it more stylish" I knew which way DMC2 was going...Its like Yahtzee said when he talked about the intro. Its all well and good that the director has a "artistic" vision to present, but do you mind actually letting me play what I just paid for for a bit? Kojima got a little heavy handed on this and I just sort of drifted away from the franchise.

Yeah, Ninja Gaiden is all kinds of flash (tried going back to play NG: B and realized I'd need to take a little while to re-learn the moves). The difference here is while Ryu is pulling all kinds of ridiculous things off he's not mugging for the audience or grabbing the camera and shouting "Accept how cool I am!".

And yes, I was mostly a A (with the occasional "S"s) Rank player in DMC. We're not /all/ totally uber like you.;[P
Parsifal

Postby David Yun on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:44 am

LOL, ok :D

I guess I misunderstood you. I just feel that DMC gameplay is both deep and good, and thought that you were disparaging its depth, as merely an exercise in shininess. If I understand you correctly now, that the "style" was over the top to the point of irritation, I can see that. But even if the "style" does exceed the "substance", as long as the "substance" is still...er, substantial, it's a great game.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Karazorel on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:14 pm

After 4 games will the Devil just cry already. I mean seriously. I'm so tired of maybes.
Image It's not easy being me but I make it look damn good.
Karazorel
Awesome

Postby Dave on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:33 pm

@ Kara: No... you know it's just a tease. You think "Maybe, just Maybe this time he'll cry", but no. He just sniffles a little then laughs at you for expecting too much.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Mike on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:36 pm

I'm avoiding 4 just because I've heard a lot of "meh" things about it. I might rent it someday but I dunno.

As for 1/3... awesome. I never got too far into 3 before my PS2 died, but whatever. The opening scene where he kicks ass while eating pizza... then shoots the pool balls like a pimp makes me happy about life.

The games are good ol' fashioned fun. And yeah... Ninja Gaiden. mmmmmm.
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Parsifal on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:10 am

I bought the DMC collection for the PS2 (damn their crafty plan to get rid of all their unsold DMC 2s by bundling it between the good ones!). I /was/ looking forward to playing it but my PS2 got lent away and I have not heard from it since.
Parsifal

Return to Internet Spelunking