A Song Of Ice and Fire

What should I be reading?

A Song Of Ice and Fire

Postby Tantalus on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:41 am

I don't know how these have not made it on the list yet. If you enjoy fantasy novels these may rank as high with you as they do with me, which would make them your favorite books of all time. Scoot over Tolkien, Martin is here to claim best fantasy author of all time.

The Books are as follows (and in order):
Author: George R.R. Martin
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons (not yet released)

First of all, something to know about these books is that the story is told from a third person outlook, and by a number of POV characters. As of the fourth book you have seen the story from 25 characters outlook, though 8 have only had one chapter.

The story(ies) that the books tell are really 3 in number. The first storyline is one of a feud between nobles, and the rights of being king. The second is of the Others, strange deadly creatures from the north, that may come over the wall, which is the northern border of Westeros. (Winter is coming) The last storyline is of a girl, the daughter of the previous king, and her journey home. Martin has somehow managed to weave all three story lines into a masterpiece(s) that are beyond imagining.

This series is actually rated as the number two series in the world on the Internet Book list!
Tantalus

Re: A Song Of Ice and Fire

Postby David Yun on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:47 am

I think this series might be a tad overrated, but only because its fans are rabid legion. I definitely give it a thumbs up myself. I appreciate that the conflicts revolve around political intrigue, as opposed to the trite boy-gets-sword-kills-menace-saves-world plot of most series of this genre.

The switching of POVs is done quite well, and softens the judgmental lines between "good" and "evil". All of the characters are people, with equally lamentable perspectives, ambitions, and foibles.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Return to Books and Comics