Hot, Flat, and Crowded

What should I be reading?

Hot, Flat, and Crowded

Postby wevets on Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I'm in the process of reading Thomas Friedman's Hot, Flat, and Crowded, and I thought it might be an interesting book to sort out thoughts about it in discussion.

If this strays too much into other topics, I understand that it might need to be moved.

Anyhoo -- Chapter 1:

Both America and the world have a problem -
    It's hot (global warming)
    It's flat (globalization means barriers to trade and movement of goods, services, and people around the world are in general going down.)
    It's crowded (not really that there are too many people, but that it's more important that lots of people are moving in to middle class lifestyles and especially consumerist lifestyles that challenge the current status quo of how resources are distributed.)

Also, America has a special problem - 9/11 and the response to it.
    We've been getting more isolated from the world (figuratively and literally.)
    That has a mix of good and bad - example - the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul was moved outside of town to a new fortress-like building, and the new security measures have thwarted two terrorist attacks on the building. However, diplomats who work there no longer have as good a connection with the Turks they work with - one said they "might as well be staring at the world behind bulletproof glass in Cleveland."

What we need to do:
    Adopt a new national cause, just as we had a cause in the Cold War, but in this case the cause should revolve around sustainability and new clean energy technology. Friedman calls this "Code Green."
wevets

Re: Hot, Flat, and Crowded

Postby wevets on Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

So far, not much controversial stuff in the book. We'll see about the next chapter...
wevets

Return to Books and Comics