Week of April 16, 2008

What should I be reading?

Week of April 16, 2008

Postby David Yun on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:16 pm

I only bought five books this week:

Avengers: The Initiative #11 - This title, written by Dan Slott, follows the adventures of a bunch of super-powered kids as they're trained by the government to be heroes. Slott's known for writing humor, but issue #11 was crazy dark. It didn't particularly work, and I'm glad it's the last issue of the storyline. I've been buying this book because it's one of the few solid titles to spin out of Civil War. It's not as good as Runaways, but it usually delivers - just not this week.

100 Bullets #90 - This used to be one of my favorite books, like, 50 issues ago, but has since devolved into an indecipherable mess. I keep buying it because it's slated to close out at #100. Perhaps if I read them all in one go when it's completed, I'll actually understand WTF is goings ons. Not betting on it though. However, I do highly recommend the trade paperbacks of the early story arcs. It reads like an HBO show with sex and violence punctuating a drama that's a conspiracy theorist's wet dream.

Captain America #37 - I keep saying that Ed Brubaker is perhaps the best writer currently in the industry. Cap isn't his best stuff, but it's still terrific. If you've been living under a rock, Captain America was killed, and Bucky is now filling in for him. The current storyline is as badass as I've ever seen the Red Skull, and his motivations are well defined.

X-Factor #30 - I'm a staunch Peter David fan, and this is currently the best book he's putting out, as well as the best "X" title (yeah, that's not saying much). On the face of it, this issue was actually pretty goofy, as the villain is Arcade. However, even with his silliness running amok, the excellent characterizations of each player shines through.

Powers Annual #1 - Powers is one of the best books of the millennium. It started off as a crime drama, about police detectives solving super-powered related murders. Over the years, it sort of jumped the shark, but it's an absolute credit to Brian Michael Bendis' writing ability that completely amping up the book has not reduced its quality one iota. Oeming is also one of the better visual storytellers working today. It's a dense title, and not one that you can just jump on. I strongly recommend you start at the beginning and buy the trades until you're caught up.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Week of April 16, 2008

Postby Parsifal on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Have you taken a look at "The Chosen", that Captain America tie-in book having to do with remote viewing and people being groomed to replace him and all that? I read it off of Dave and I couldn't help thinking how pissed off I'd be if I had been buying it myself. On it's surface its a book about duty and filling the shoes of a hero, but it reeks of convenience retcon-ing and the same thinking that made Iron Man into "Super-Douche!" via "Civil War".
Parsifal

Postby David Yun on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Iron Man is a douche. Always has been.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Korin on Wed May 14, 2008 3:32 pm

I hate Ironman.

A kid in my programming class is obsessed with Ironman. Like... Wants it in the bum from Ironman.

I hate that kid.

He's irritating and ignorant.

I feel as though I'm being mean. But if you met the kid, you'd agree with me and probably feel the same, if not worse, than I do.

Haaaate...
WTF does "WEIGHTED PHRASE LIMIT EXCEEDED" mean?!
Korin

Postby steve on Wed May 14, 2008 4:14 pm

you got yourself a two-fer
"It's not my vault."
steve
Mastermind

Return to Books and Comics