Dark Tower Saga

What should I be reading?

Dark Tower Saga

Postby iroNy on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:54 pm

King has gone on record saying he was afraid of finishing this title because he didn't know how it ends.

This is a great story. But, sadly, like plenty of anime lines that I've watched, the ending always leaves something to be desired. Anyone who has read any of King's stories will likely find nothing surprising here. I won't give away the ending, but let's just say you either agree or you freaking hate it and think it's a sad cop out to someone who can't definitively figure it out. I'm in the latter. It's a been there done that kind of thing, especially if you've seen the Matrix and you know about it's connection to Grant Morrison.
I breezed through his early books in this series, but around book 4 or so the books got big and I had to plow through. I keep getting asked why I still read it when I don't like it so much. Well, here's the answer. I love the story, I love the characters, I hate the writer. The prose is repetitive and while not exactly bland, doesn't exactly draw you in. There's an untangible characteristic in his writing I can't explain, but I'll never read another one of his books again. I'll watch the movies though.

That said, this series would be an awesome HBO series. Clint Eastwood as Roland Deschain, hell it's who he's based off, and since Roland is supposed to be really old, Clint is still a perfect fit.

By the way, it took me almost 4 months to finish reading book 7. That's how much I didn't like the writing but wanted to finish the story. How's that for being a pussy, Paul? *You* go hurt yourself little by little reading something you abhor but needed to know the ending of, and when you finally get to the ending, you'd like to burn the book. It was like having Mort from Planescape-Torment killing you over and over to help you through the bad times while Wakko from Animaniacs recaps disjointedly about what just happened to you, your mind implodes.
Meet Masuka version Season 1.
iroNy

Re: Dark Tower Saga

Postby SteveW on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 pm

I don't read a lot of Grant Morrison. Could you let me know what his connection to The Matrix is?
SteveW

Postby David Yun on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:26 am

Morrison contends that the Matrix plagiarized its basic concept (perception of reality) from his comic book, The Invisibles.

I say, they both owe a debt of gratitude to Plato, who originated the idea in his "Allegory of the Cave".
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby trebuchet on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:55 am

Who are you Irony? You seem to have me at a disadvantage.
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby Dave on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:25 am

trebuchet wrote:Who are you Irony? You seem to have me at a disadvantage.

His name is IronNy

IronNy

That enough of a hint?
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Mike on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:08 pm

trebuchet wrote:Who are you Irony? You seem to have me at a disadvantage.

maybe I should name myself MIKErophone...

Think Treb would get it?
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Dave on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 pm

Nah, too subtle.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Mike on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:32 pm

hmmm... oooo... Dee can be DEEstruction. or maybe DEEconstruction is more appropriate.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Dave on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:38 pm

Mike wrote:hmmm... oooo... Dee can be DEEstruction. or maybe DEEconstruction is more appropriate.

DEEconstruction fits, but he's actually partial to DEEluxe.
Dave

Postby Mike on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:49 pm

So I was trying to think of something for more people... it didn't work...

but is it strange to realize "Arturo" sounds strangely like "A Churro"
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Next

Return to Books and Comics