RE5

What should I be playing?

RE5

Postby Mike on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:01 pm

So, for the control scheme, it's clunky, moving is slow, aiming is a pain, and so on. It feels "wrong" but at the same time makes the game that much more nerve racking. "GOD THERE'S A GUY WITH A CHAINSAW AND I'M A FUCKING TANK TURNING SLOW AIMING FUCK!"

So, in that sorta way, I still dig it.
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Re: RE5

Postby David Yun on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:50 am

It's a relic. Capcom has gone on record stating that they intentionally made the controls of the original RE fucked up to achieve that very tension you're describing. I've always been torn about it. That impending sense of doom is thrilling, but when you die because you're fighting the controls as opposed to making a bad decision or failing to react seems like a cheap parlor trick when you step back and consider it dispassionately. It's completely artificial; humans aren't walking turrets, and it's disingenuous to make you feel like one.

In RE5, it feels even more incongruous considering the massive steps Capcom took to ape Western shooters. It's WAAAY more of an action game now, but still with residual discordant control scheme elements. RE4, on the Wii of all places, was much more successful in achieving that tension without resorting to this sort of cheating.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Return to Games