Terrifying case of Amnesia

What should I be playing?

Terrifying case of Amnesia

Postby Usaden on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:39 pm

Recently picked up a great survival-horror game that taught me how to jump straight up and cling to a ceiling fan out of sheer, absolute terror. Amnesia: The Dark Descent makes F.E.A.R. (a favorite game) look like a trip through the land of My Little Pony. It's a PC title that is currently on sale for only 10 dollars, normal price of 20, and I think would be very highly recommended for those not of the faint of heart.
If you can't take the heat, stop making me set you on fire!
Usaden

Re: Terrifying case of Amnesia

Postby Dave on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Okay, looked it up, and yeah, it does seem like it has a LOT of potential in the "scream like a little school girl" department.

http://www.amnesiagame.com/

Also, welcome, Usaden :D
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby MadCat on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Welcome, Usaden! :D

Man, F.E.A.R. was scary enough for me.... Amnesia... man, I ain't touchin' that. O_O *hides*

(But damn my morbid curiosity, I'm gonna go read about it anyway...>< lol) :mrgreen:
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Panda S. H. on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 pm

:shock: Thanks for that... I'll remember it when I'm ready to be nocturnal again. I don't do well with certain plots... I still have issues with zombies... :cry: ((Strangely, I love gore. D:))

Welcome.
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby Kodi on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 am

Y'know, F.E.A.R. didn't scare me, and neither did Dead Space. Mostly cause I metagamed the hell out of them. "Oh, hey look, flashing light/movement is trying to draw my attention to the right. Lets look to the left... oh, theres the bad thing trying to sneak up on me. *blam blam dead* ... meh." The 6th or 7th time that happened, I just started to laugh at how obvious this was.

It's actually been a while since I've had a good scare. Silent Hill 2 did it really well. And there was the hotel stage of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. The former I had to put down every 30 minutes because my hands were shaking so bad. The latter caused me to actually start repeating to myself "I'm a vampire, I'm already dead, I'm a monster of the night, this place should be scared of me, I'm a vampire, I'm already dead, I'm a monster of the- OHWHATTHEF***WASTHAT!?"... So yeah. Fun stuff ^_^
-Kodi
Kodi
Demon Overlord

Postby MadCat on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:28 am

Silent Hill... man, I've read the wiki articles about the games, and they sound just freaky and creepy in the extreme. Definitely on my "wouldn't touch with a ten-foot spiked zombie-proof pole" list. :shock:
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Dave on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:41 am

@Kodi

Pick up "Condemned" for your 360. That's the last time I remember something approaching "scary" that I played. It has a couple of moments that seriously creeped me out. I didn't go "OH SHIT!" or anything, but getting creeped out was good enough for me :D
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Panda S. H. on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:33 am

I feel nearly anomalous. :oops:
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby Usaden on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Hehe, Amnesia is a little different in that you cannot fight the monsters. While solving puzzles you have to keep an eye out, then run and hide if they appear. There aren't very many of them, but the constant threat wears over time. It has as much atmosphere as games like Bioshock adding to the fear.

It's a different kind of scare than Dead Space or F.E.A.R., to try and compare it to anything, it's like the movie Paranormal Activity.
If you can't take the heat, stop making me set you on fire!
Usaden

Postby trebuchet on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Does anybody remember a game on the Xbox called Fatal Frame? I wasn't even playing it, just watching Dee play through it, and I swore off horror games for the rest of my life. Your only "weapon" against the supernatural horrors is a freaking camera. *snap* then *run like hell*
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Next

Return to Games