Braid

What should I be playing?

Braid

Postby Gobbob on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:34 am

I only have the demo at the moment but as soon as my money comes in, I'm buying this game.
I'm not explaining what it's about because I don't know everything about as I don't have it yet and I probably wouldn't do it justice. From what I have played I can tell you it's a very clver game that makes you think in more ways than one and I think that the many 10/10's it's been getting are well justified.
Official Walkthrough: http://braid-game.com/walkthrough/walkthrough.html

I wanted to know what you guys thought of it especially if any of you have the full game

-Gobbob
Gobbob

Re: Braid

Postby Aranthos on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:45 pm

Damn, there was me thinking that as soon as your money came in you were gonna pay me back, THEN do your own thing. Ah well...
Aranthos

Postby iroNy on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Braid is a great game with unique and interesting play controls. I'm not digging the art, but that's
just me and it's subjective. The storybook art fits perfectly except that I think the main character could do with a better design. I just don't like how he looks. Again, minor gripe and just my opinion.

What I don't like is the precedent it's setting by being $15. This would've been a great purchase at $10. I don't like the creator's reasoning as to why he's set the price as high either. You can read the article here: via Kotaku - Braid's high price is to prevent the Space Giraffe problem

Basically he says that he's pricing the game high in case it doesn't sell well. This is BS logic to me because if it's a good game then it'll sell. Then again.. there's Okami... But I digress. His comparison to SG is flawed because SG competes with Geometry Wars, which is arguably a better game and SG has gotten mixed reviews whereas Braid is positively glowing in contrast. I've tried the demo and at $15 it's not enough to get me to download the full version.

On the other hand I'll be plunking down the extra points for Castle Crashers, even at the rumored 1800 MS points ($22.50!) :evil: Because as Arturo will tell you, I'm already invested in the game.. with 4 figures to show for it..*ahem* So, no, I don't want to pay extra for Braid and yes, I will pay more for Castle Crashers. But to be fair, Braid is single player and Castle Crashers is multi-player with a bit of extra content to make the high price worth it, unlike Braid which is artificially priced higher without added content. And, yes, I visit Kotaku a lot.
Meet Masuka version Season 1.
iroNy

Postby Kodi on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:41 am

So wait... he's pricing the game on expected sales?

Isn't that... just a little cyclical?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he thinks people won't buy it, so he prices it higher, won't.... less people buy it?

And then, if he adjusts prices based on the less people buying it to pay off the people he owes money to, then... won't even less people buy it?

I mean, I'm just a junior in business school, but I'm fairly sure that would be a... questionable decision...
-Kodi
Kodi
Demon Overlord

Postby Dave on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:35 am

I didn't like having to pay 15 bucks, but I did like the game. What's the old saying, "The price of anything is what the buyer's willing to pay?" Well, I was willing to pay the price, so I guess I shouldn't gripe :)

Anyway, this game's good. This game's worth paying the 15 bucks if you can afford it.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby David Yun on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:01 am

re: Pricing

The way I read that article, development put him seriously in the red meaning he HAS to recoup the cost. I have no idea what his internal numbers are, but let's say he figured 10,000 people would buy it at $10, meaning $100,000 of total revenue. Let's say he's thinking raising it to $15 would lose him 3,000 of those sales. 7,000 x $15 would equal $105,000. Now, I pulled those numbers out of my ass, but I can understand the impetus to try to find the sweet spot between price and the consumers' willingness to pay. Or let's just say he was terribly afraid of poor sales, figuring only a few people would buy it regardless of price. In that case, he's increasing his revenue a full 50%.

And yeah, there are TONS of examples of great games not selling piddly.

re: Precedent

It wasn't the first $15 XBLA game.

re: Demo

If you've only played the demo, and think you've seen what the game has to offer, you're dead wrong. Each level features continually evolving mechanics, unlike every other platform/puzzler. Braid is this year's Portal, and to walk away from it over $5 is a mistake. We've all paid more for far less.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Mike on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:33 pm

I paid 70 for Halo 3.

15 is a steal if the game doesn't suck...

being that I paid 70 for Halo 3.

Which sucked after about 3 days.
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Parsifal on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:19 am

Only after sticking us with a leveling system that does nothing but give us cosmetic options for our armor (which I can can of understand as a means to let you do something but keep game balance) is the Bungie team going "Oh, hey...CoD 4 gives you leveling rewards that actually /do/ something... neat.."
Parsifal

Postby Kodi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 am

Oh well. I'm not even sure adding 5 dollars by itself will effect revenue very much by itself, but the extra press from making a "daring move" with pricing will probably make large returns. ;p

But I've always been of the opinion that if you can make a great game and not have it sell, you've got a pretty broken marketing department. I mean, look at big video game giants who can practicly shovel crap into kid's christmas presents at 60 dollars a pop. -That- is marketing. There is a limit, what with factors beyond control... but still. I had never even -heard- of psychonauts until yahtzee did a review about it. If you can't get good marketing out there, developing a brand image with cool logos and badass commercials or magazine ads or just dirty dirty LIES, Yeah, the better mousetrap is going to gather dust.
-Kodi
Kodi
Demon Overlord

Postby David Yun on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:05 am

Well, that's the issue here. Braid was pretty much made by two dudes who went into debt during production, with zero marketing dollars to throw around.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Next

Return to Games