RROD

What should I be playing?

RROD

Postby Mike on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:26 pm

So a year and a week later, my xbox decided to die on me (finally). It had been chugging along and yesterday I got the rings. I called support (they make me ship it in my own box now, assholes) and got my order started. NOW the fucker is "working." Driving me crazy. Hopefully RROD 25% of the time is good enough.... shit makes no sense.
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Re: RROD

Postby Aranthos on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:53 pm

I only have one suggestion. And yes, I do know you will likely run a mile upon hearing it, clutching your precious 360 in a death grip. But anyway, here goes...

One of my friends informs me that he has used two tricks to have his 360 cheat death. One is to open the case (thus voiding the warranty...) and remove the coolers from the CPU and video card. After doing so, get some cleaning fluids and remove any thermal interface paste from the heatsink and the chips. With this done, proceed to apply fresh interface material of your choice on the surfaces (I recommend Arctic Silver paste) and reapply the coolers. Reassemble the case, and you're good to go.

The other solution I have heard (and which I trust much, much less) is to wrap the 360 entirely in towels save for where you plug the power cable into it's arse. Power on the 360 (presumably by the means of a wireless controller) and let it run for a few minutes. Now I really think this one sounds dodgy, but my mate swears it worked for him, and I've heard several others claiming that either they, or people they know, have done so and it's saved their consoles.

So you can either certainly void the warranty and likely fix the overheating using the first option
Or take the easy way out and not void the warranty, but only have a slim chance at fixing the problem with the second.

I now hand the moral dilemma over to you.
Aranthos

Postby Mike on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:46 pm

Oh i don't mind sending it in.

It's been dying for ~2 weeks now... I was just waiting for the RROD so it'd be free to fix.

Now it's ringing like 30% of the time. Hopefully they notice so I don't get charged. =\ Bu tchances are it'll work flawlessly when i send it in.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Parsifal on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 am

It's because their repair stations are coated in dust harvested from a slave colony of pixies.
Parsifal

Postby JohnP on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:30 am

Chances are that you might receive another defective XBOX, or Microsoft's case send you back your original 360 but even worse then before and deny you further services...
John
-------
JohnP

Postby David Yun on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:38 am

Under no circumstances would they refuse you service, unless they could demonstrate that you voided the warranty.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Mike on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm just crossing my fingers for not having to pay 100 bucks.

And they're dicks for not sending me a box. Gotta go buy one and ship it out Saturday.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Mike on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:34 pm

Zomg
/throws money at the bot.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Dave on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Woo! Someone took the time to create an account for a bot! That or the bot's fairly sophisticated... Mike, get your shotgun.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Yino on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Wow, that bot actually gave a speech. Mike, could you make it painful?
<insert signature>
Yino

Return to Games