Left 4 Dead

What should I be playing?

Left 4 Dead

Postby Dave on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:01 am

Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Re: Left 4 Dead

Postby David Yun on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:11 am

Usually, I'd say that cutscene cinematics are useless for judging the actual quality of a game, but man, I dig this trailer purely on its own merits. I'd dig this if it didn't have anything to do with a game. You instantly understand who those characters are, and the vibe (pacing/lighting/everything...) is solid post-modern zombie horror.

Valve just gets it; they're not just developers of good games, they're at the absolute forefront of driving narrative and properly integrating lessons from other mediums into videogames.

After the greatness of HL2: Episode Two and Portal, I'm worried that I'm expecting too much for them. If Left 4 Dead isn't a strong Game of the Year candidate, I'll be so disappointed...
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Zeke on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:22 pm

Wuh? It's got a narrative? :shock:
Zeke

Postby Theculter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:18 am

So I totally was like browsing the forums here and found a post to this wonderful game.

If anyone would like me to join up in any of the groups they might have going I am usually available.

Steam name is theculter I also have a ventrilo already setup if others wanted to play we could hop on and have a good time killing zombies.
Snooch to the nootch
Theculter

Postby David Yun on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:16 am

It's been awhile since we played, but our entire crew ran on the 360 version.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby MadCat on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:50 am

Holy cow. I just watched the trailer, and daaaaang. I want to see that made as a movie or a series of shorts or something. That was cool.

.... I have a weird love/hate relationship with zombie/survival horror stuff. On one hand I scare easily, and dislike things that are severely gory/bloody, etc. On the other hand, I find zombie survival scenarios strangely fascinating, have read the Zombie Survival Handbook multiple times, and like the idea of running a zombie survival campaign in some tabletop RPG system. So I dunno.
Also, I have a problem with character death. So if I were to watch something based off Left 4 Dead, and I knew from the start that all 4 characters would survive, I'd probably enjoy watching it, and scream shrilly every time something jumped out that I wasn't expecting. lol.
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Theculter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:39 pm

I know personally myself I jump back in my seat when all a sudden a boomer is spawned in my face, or if I'm trying to kite a tank and kill it at the same time.

It's funny with 2-4 of us on vent we usually get right into it and help each other out a lot.
Snooch to the nootch
Theculter

Postby JohnP on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:18 am

Dave wrote:http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42271.html

I want this game so bad.

I'll Donate Left 4 Dead for you; if you want, I have an extra copy scrounging around.

Somwehere............. Oh ah yes here we go Thank you steam!
John
-------
JohnP

Postby MadCat on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:02 am

Is there still somewhere I can get the PC demo online? I read it's downloadable, the first 2 levels or something like that, but when I went to the Steam site I couldn't find it. *feels dumb*
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby David Yun on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:15 pm

Yeah, weird. I can't find the demo on either their site or the Steam client. If you Google 'left 4 dead demo', you'll find lots of places to download it. If you try it out, just keep in mind that it's significantly better if you play with other people, as opposed to alone. It's the difference from a Rank A to...maybe even C.
David Yun
Site Admin

Next

Return to Games