How do I choose a WH40k army?

What should I be playing?

How do I choose a WH40k army?

Postby Zephyr190 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:45 am

Right, I know there are people here that play and I'm just looking for a bit of advice.

I'm finally in a situation that I can afford to get me some miniatures, and was wondering what factors there are to consider in picking who to go for. Surely it can't just be a case of "Which is most badass?". Or can it....
Zephyr190

Re: How do I choose a WH40k army?

Postby Dave on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:14 pm

Poked at Mike. He's a big WH40k fan. Hopefully he can steer you in the right direction.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Re: How do I choose a WH40k army?

Postby Mike on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:13 am

So a few things to consider:

6th Edition is new, so some codex's are super outdated. Dark Eldar, Necrons, and Chaos are the ones that are built for 6th rules... with Dark Angels coming next. Tau should drop sometime afterwards. So if you want an "up to date" book, I'd look at one of those.

More importantly, you need to do what you want. If you're new, you'll soon be introduced to Matt Ward, who likes to make shit stupidly overpowered. Some armies are inherently "better" than others, all things being equal. Luckily, 90% of 40k players are idiots. I've dumped on all the imbalanced armies (and been spanked by the "weak" ones).

If you're into lore and such, do some background reading and see what appeals to you. Also, remember that it takes fucking hours to build and paint your shit, so if you're painting models you DON'T LIKE the look of, it's not gonna be enjoyable.

I can give some places to start looking if you have some basic ideas. Some armies are fully shooty, some are more close combat based. Some are fully tactical while others are blobby horde rape jobs. Just figure out what you're interested in and Ic an point you in the right direction.

Also, don't do what I did. I bought about 2,000 points of Space Marines before I really played many games. Now I have between 3k and 3500, with about 1.5k sitting on a shelf not getting used. If I were to start again (like I will when DA drops), I'd focus on getting a good HQ, 2 troops, and maybe a heavy support or fast attack.

If you're interested at all in Dark Angels or Chaos, look at getting the Dark Vengeance starter set. It's a decent start, with a 6th ed mini rulebook (that sucks less to carry around than the 300 page hardcover monster). If you have a friend, you can split it and each take an army, or find somebody else who got one also and swap them for the models they don't want.
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Return to Games