Dexter

What should I be watching?

Dexter

Postby David Yun on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 pm

So I've been catching up on this series, and had a mixed opinion about it. It's engrossing and fascinating simply because of its subject matter, but nowhere near 'good' until the third season.

I narrowed the problem down to the writing. I thought it was also the acting, but I can't blame the actors when they get garbage to work with. Like Sgt. Doakes - he was just a 2-D caricature, scowling and gruffing his way through the series. But once given the chance, with some halfway decent writing, the character came alive during his conversations with Dexter at the end of Season Two. Or Masuka - he was just a series of cast off jokes until Season Three. There's even a bit of Dexter's internal monologue commenting on how razor-thin Masuka's character is; even the writers knew they weren't doing anything worthwhile with him, and self-referentially commented on it within the confines of the show. Or Dexter himself - MAN the writers have been lazy when it comes to him. They go through all this effort of presenting a man afflicted with antisocial personality disorder, and then whenever it's convenient, they play fast and loose with emotions he supposedly doesn't have in order to build empathy for him. The major plot twists are occasionally kind of lazy/crazy as well.

If the show went for a loose reality, fine. But it takes itself so seriously that it breaks apart for me whenever they don't "follow their own Code". Even little things, like when Rita's kids are nearly burned alive, and she responds to their rescue with an 'all that matters is they're safe now' smile. It's just lazy writing.

But yeah, maybe they hired new, better writers onto the staff along the way. These lapses are less frequent, and every aspect of the show is tightening up. I'm halfway through Season Three now - for anyone who agrees with my comments thus far, does the show consistently maintain this improvement?

Gotta say, I love Julie Benz. She's the best performer on the show, and is awfully easy on the eyes. Makes me want to rewatch the Darla episodes of Buffy/Angel.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Dexter

Postby David Yun on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm caught up. I like the series - I'd give it a Direman Rank B if I was reviewing television shows.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Dexter

Postby Parsifal on Wed May 26, 2010 5:25 pm

How about now that Season 4 has wrapped up?

John Lithgow kicked all sorts of ass as the Trinity Killer.
Parsifal

Return to Movies and Television