Re: "The Plan" and "Eastbound and Down"

Postby David Yun on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:09 am

Care to elaborate in non-trite terms?
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Mike on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Ooo, let's see if I can get non-trite terms out of me.

Eastbound and Down is produced by Will Ferrel and stars Danny McBride as an ex-steroid using John Rocker knockoff working at his old high school as a PE coach. Hilarity ensues.

The Plan shows wtf the Cylons were doing throughout the first half of BSG. It's badass seeing the other side, yo.
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby David Yun on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Oh, THAT The Plan. Did they actually have one, because it seemed like the writers were just shotgunning it as they went?
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Mike on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 pm

You gotta watch it. You'll see what was going on. :D
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Parsifal on Wed May 26, 2010 6:00 pm

Eastbound and Down is dumb. I don't mean that as a condemnation, but as a warning. It's on par with Will Ferrel's physical comedy. You know, the stuff where someone takes a fork in the eye, screams and then stumbles into things for about a minute while loudly describing the pain in detail. If you're not into that level of humor then you may not enjoy this.

The series is basically about this idiot and the mess he's made of everything in his life (mostly due to bad choices and massive ego). He used to be a hotshot MLB pitcher but ends up teaching gym at his old high school. Season 1's story involves Kenny Powers (McBride) trying to reclaim his glory by getting back to the big leagues. He's still (mostly) a selfish prick so all his plans usually involve using others and taking advantage of what little name recognition he has left.

And speaking of plans...

*possible(?) Spoilers*

"The Plan" was "Kill all the Humans". The majority of The Plan is about how "The Plan" fell apart and all the scrambling the Cylon leadership did to try and get it back on track. It essentially works as a retcon mechanism to explain some of the things that happened during the series. I've only seen part of it and came away with mixed feelings. One the one hand the acting and production values are there so it's an enjoyable watch. On the other....it demystifies some of BSG the same way that learning a Muppet was just a puppet with some guys hand up it's ass took away some of the Sesame Street magic.
Parsifal

Postby David Yun on Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 pm

I liked "Eastbound". They kept hammering the stupidity until you just had to relent and laugh.

"The Plan" was bullshit.
David Yun
Site Admin

Return to Movies and Television