The Incredible Hulk

What should I be watching?

The Incredible Hulk

Postby Karazorel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 pm

2008 Hulk vs 2003 Hulk
Ed Norton vs Eric Bana
Liv Tyler vs Jennifer Connelly
Tim Roth (Abomination) vs Nick Nolte (Whatever the hell monster he was)

Other than Liv Tyler (I personally really dislike her) the new version of the Hulk absolutely destroyed the older more childish version. The 2008 Incredible Hulk was almost as enjoyable to watch as Ironman. If Ironman was a 9 the Hulk is definitely an 8. This time around Ed Norton played Bruce and pulled off the character well. The action was great, the humor was right on time, and the movie seemed to flow perfectly from one scene to another. Even the CG of the Hulk was done really well. He no longer seemed Shrek like as he did in the previous movie. Comic movies put out another winner. Next up Hellboy 2 and then Batman. Fingers crossed.

*SPOILER*
The Robert Downy Jr cameo was pretty awesome as well. Just seeing him for the brief few minutes brought back all the warm fuzzy feelings Ironman gave. YAY. Hopefully they're really going somewhere with this Avengers thing.
Image It's not easy being me but I make it look damn good.
Karazorel
Awesome

Re: The Incredible Hulk

Postby Parsifal on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Not really a spoiler considering the last commercial before release showed Tony Stark meeting General Ross. Before that word of the appearance was getting thrown about around the same time as pictures of Captain America's shield on Stark's work bench. There were even shots of the Iron Man armor posed in front of a flag and fighting the Hulk from the new videogame. Those were pinned as tying into a film appearance.

The real test of whether "The Hulk" is successful, is whether or not it drops off by 70% in the second week like the Ang Lee version did.
Last edited by Parsifal on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parsifal

Postby Karazorel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:59 pm

Ang Lee's got bad word of mouth. This one should get good reviews. Problem is in the next few weeks:
Wanted, Hancock, Hellboy 2, and Batman are all being released so it's got some stiff competition.
Image It's not easy being me but I make it look damn good.
Karazorel
Awesome

Postby Parsifal on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:03 am

It's doing well on Rotten Tomatoes, but most of the word of mouth I'm hearing doesn't go far beyond "It was good" "It was okay" and "It wasn't bad, but it wasn't Iron Man." Trade publications are naming "Get Smart" as the crucial/first movie it needs to beat in order to "hang in there".
Parsifal

Postby David Yun on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:28 am

I love Ed Norton. He was particularly subdued in this film, but hey, Bruce Banner isn't the most charismatic of characters.

Why do you dislike Liv Tyler? Is it a general disdain or specific to this film? Because I thought she put in the best performance of the movie.

Nick Nolte was essentially the Absorbing Man, although they never explicitly identified him as such. I didn't much care for Tim Roth/Abomination. Iron Man's one flaw was the climax - a slugfest with an identical, but evil/crazy opponent, and we have the exact analog here. Both villains cross a line that isn't in step with their characterization in order to have these showdowns.

But I'm right with you Kara - Iron Man was a 9, and the Incredible Hulk is an 8 or strong 7 at worst. I wouldn't call Ang Lee's Hulk "childish" though. It failed in its execution but it featured fascinating visual choices. It may have sucked, but not via childishness. If anything, that description is more applicable to this new film - it's a by the numbers escapist fantasy. Also, the CG work was decent, but a few things kept snapping my suspension of disbelief. First, maybe it was the theater where I saw it, but the green wasn't consistent; it kept changing hues. Second, and far worse, was that his size seemed to fluctuate occasionally.

Yeah, it's probably a strong 7, with my fanboyism kicking it up a notch for me personally. I've got a full run of Peter David Hulk comics (hundreds) and loved the old Bixby TV show as well. This film went out of it's way to pay homage to all of its Hulk predecessors. Stan Lee and Lou Ferrigno (damn, he's still fucking huge) have their requisite cameos, and there's an awesome take on the "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry," line early in the film. It really goes out of its way to capture the Bill Bixby/The Fugitive vibe, and also sets up a sequel villain in The Leader.

*SPOILERS* - but nothing a Marvel fan couldn't see coming a mile away.

As for the Avengers kick, Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D. are referenced right from the get go. And even more important than the tacked on Tony Stark cameo, Gen. Ross references the Super Soldier program and World War II in the same sentence. They've got to get a strong Captain America movie in the can before seriously contemplating the Avengers. I'll believe it when they actually enter production - so many things could derail a project of that nature. And if they were REALLY serious about it, they should've used Hank Pym instead of Samuel Sterns as the character that helps Banner out.

It's also a shame that Spider-Man rights are with a completely different studio. I know he's historically a tangential Avenger, but it would've given McGuire a good reason to reprise the role.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Return to Movies and Television