Wall-E

What should I be watching?

Wall-E

Postby MadCat on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:49 pm

ZOMG SO CUTE. GO SEE.

Actually, I was surprised by the insightful social commentary; I wasn't expecting it. It was kind of saddening, kind of inspiring. My partner found it hugely ironic that after watching a movie that displayed people dumping their trash everywhere and the unfortunate results thereof, when the lights came up we looked over to the other aisle to see trash littering the floor.

I wonder if the message actually reached anyone. The other message I took away, personally, was "you need to get active and lose about a hundred pounds, Fatty McFatfat." LOL. >_<
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Re: Wall-E

Postby james on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:22 pm

That is 2 good reviews that I have heard. Now I want to see it... nothing can beat a cute chibi Johnny 5...
http://www.redlinedaily.com

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals.
Meat is Murder.... Tasty, Tasty Murder.
james

Postby David Yun on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:49 pm

Took Eli to see it yesterday - yeah, it wasn't in the upper tier of Pixar productions, but still decent by their standards. Their "bad" is any other animation studio's "good", which makes Wall-E "great" by those relative standards. It was crazy cute, and I'm staggered by the amount of characterization Pixar was able to pull off considering that their leads were inorganic and severely limited in terms of vocalization. They were so expressive.

And I give bonus points to any film with 2001 references.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby trebuchet on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:52 am

Short Circuit is on DVD. If anyone's interested (yes, I have it).
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby Parsifal on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:23 am

From what I've heard, this carries a darker message beyond the immediately viewable cuteness. Sure there's love, but it's supposed to run a little like "Finding Nemo" in that something important to the story runs as a downer. Much like "Nemo" started on what was essentially a home invasion and the murder/consumption of a fishes wife/family, "Wall-E" plays like a more colorful version of "A.I.". Humanity is useless and done for and it's the machines we made that are picking up where we lost our way...you know, like 2-foot tall Cylons.
Parsifal

Postby james on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:18 pm

trebuchet wrote:Short Circuit is on DVD. If anyone's interested (yes, I have it).

Is Short Circuit 2 on DVD as well... I already have Short Circuit.
http://www.redlinedaily.com

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals.
Meat is Murder.... Tasty, Tasty Murder.
james

Postby MadCat on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Parsifal wrote: Humanity is useless and done for and it's the machines we made that are picking up
where we lost our way...you know, like 2-foot tall Cylons.

Actually, one of the things I liked about the movie was that it showed that humanity has an innate sense of curiosity and nobility, once you can get them past their tendency to be lazy and accept what is spoon-fed to them by advertisers. (Which was a great metaphor for what's happening in society right now, I thought, and gave hope for the future if we can just get our heads out of our asses.)
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Return to Movies and Television