“If I say no, they take me, too!”

What should I be voting for?

“If I say no, they take me, too!”

Postby MadCat on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:17 am

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... es-aboard/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/nyreg ... wanted=all

I'm reminded of a quote:

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

I don't know exactly what to say in this situation. I'm pissed off, I'm outraged, I'm sickened...

Land of the free, my ass. This is not America. This is a betrayal of all the ideals we supposedly champion; of freedom, of "liberty and justice for all"...

Innocent until proven guilty? Screw that, you either prove yourself innocent right here, right now, with no preparation, no warning that you'd have to do so... or we take you away.

America is not supposed to be the kind of country where we make people disappear into the night, with no justification and no accountability, to be taken who knows where.

America is not supposed to be the kind of country where people live in fear.
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Re: “If I say no, they take me, too!”

Postby Dave on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:29 am

Yeah, when I read that, all I could think of was "What the fuck!"... then I thought, "Everyvone in zis car will vake up! Sit up at attention! Reach into your bags and produce your papiers!"

Of course, many Americans applaud this and similar actions (the Arizona immigration law, for example) since this is a way to "stop them illegals and terrorists", but they fail to see that every blow to our liberties is one step closer to a total fascist state. Some say we're already there, it's just kept under wraps...

Oh, and the Tea Party nominees seem to be getting the Republican primaries in the bag... I can't remember the last time I felt so angry and fearful. Angry that MY country would allow this, and fearful for my mom, a US CITIZEN who would be pegged as an illegal and hauled away before she could say anything. Time for us to start wearing our papers sewn to our clothes.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Re: “If I say no, they take me, too!”

Postby MadCat on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:28 am

Some of the 'highlights' from some cases are scary:

...a Taiwan-born Ph.D. candidate who had excelled in New York City public schools since age 11. Two days after he gave a paper on Chaucer at a conference in Chicago last year, he was taken from his train seat and strip-searched at a detention center in Batavia, N.Y., facing deportation for an expired visa.

Unlike a criminal arrest, such detentions come with few due process protections. The woman was held at a county jail, then transferred across the country while her mother, a house cleaner, and a high school teacher tried to reach her. The woman first saw an immigration judge more than three weeks after her arrest. He halved the $10,000 bail set by the patrol, and she was eventually released at night at a rural Texas gas station.

Another challenge is pending in the 2009 train arrest of the Taiwan-born doctoral student, who had to answer the agent after being singled out for intense questioning because of his “Asian appearance,” he said. His account was corroborated in an affidavit filed this month by another passenger.

Similar complaints have been made by others, including a Chicago couple who encountered the patrol on a train to Poughkeepsie, N.Y., for the woman’s graduation from Vassar College.

“At least in Arizona, you have to be doing something wrong to be stopped,” said the woman, a citizen of Chinese-American descent who said her Mexican boyfriend was sleeping when an agent started questioning him. “Here, you’re sitting on the train asleep and if you don’t look like a U.S. citizen, it’s ‘Wake up!’ ”

(Bolded-emphasis mine)
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Return to Politics