Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) Filibuster

What should I be voting for?

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) Filibuster

Postby Dave on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Senator Bernie Sanders, an independent from Vermont, launched a filibuster at 7:30 AM, Pacific, against president Obama's tax-cut compromise with Republicans in congress. And I mean an old school, "I'm going to talk all this time about why this is wrong until I stop this bill" filibuster. It's now almost 1 PM and he's still at it. Agree or disagree with him, you have to respect the fact that he followed through with his vow to filibuster something that he sees as just plain wrong for the American people.

It's currently Friday, Dec 10, 12:55 PM. If you want to watch it live, here's the link.
http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream2
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Re: Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) Filibuster

Postby MadCat on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Wow. I kinda love this guy. <3 Way to stand up for your principles! :D Go Sanders go!
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby trebuchet on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Mr. Sanders Goes to Washington.
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby Panda S. H. on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:17 am

Was this a transfer of cuts from >250K a year to <250K a year? Or just more cuts?

I just wish someone would explain to me why it's good for rich people get tax breaks. :<
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby Mike on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:34 am

Because making rich people happy means they give you money... and potentially get their friends to give you money.
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby MadCat on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:13 am

Mike wrote:Because making rich people happy means they give you money... and potentially get their friends to give you money.

Except that they don't. They keep the money they get and are happy because they have more money... then they say "oh hey, it's still not enough money, give us more. Fuckin' poor people trying to take our money away... I need it to renovate my yacht!"
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Panda S. H. on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:36 am

I asked a Rep friend of mine about that issue and he responded with "Nope, I don't agree with it and don't know why it's a good idea." And then we degraded the convo into Palin bashing. :mrgreen:

I just wish there was some sort of limit on the amount of money being thrown at these guys... well... I wish someone had thought of it sooner than this year. +_+ Seriously. Their pissing and moaning about not being able to get a raise for the next 2-5 years or so... (only read the brief of the article...>_>)
Panda S. H.

Postby Dire Hippo on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:03 pm

you know as a rep ...yeah i know hey hippos a rep from alabama GO FIG...as a rep i think that it is a sound business sence that as far as the general public goes ...rich people have more money to give up then the average joe ..and its as simple as that.i think that if you make over 200 k a year in pocket that you should pay more be cause you can,now i said in pocket ...dont hurt the small business owners and i know a few people that even tho they "make over "200k a year ,there take home is only 30k because of taxes and expences from there company and child care..but i think bill gates should fill out a check to take care of our debt.
pea river forge
Dire Hippo

Postby Panda S. H. on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:34 am

Best Republican politician I've ever heard of is the one that refuses his 175k annual salary to avoid funding cuts (hopefully to education and such).
Panda S. H.

Postby Dave on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:34 pm

On the matter of tax cuts, keeping the tax cuts for the lower and middle classes makes sense to me for the simple fact that they (we) are the main consumers in our economy. They're the demand side of economics, and demand is what breathes life into the economy. Henry Ford paid his employees well not because he was a nice guy (by all accounts, he was a royal dick), but because he wanted to make sure there were people who could actually buy the cars he was producing.
I struggled with whether or not we should keep the tax cuts for the upper 2% of our population ("the rich"). I reject the idea of supply side economics (or Reaganomics, Voodoo economics, Trickle down economics... whatever you want to call it). It does not work, and has not worked for us, so I throw that out the window. What I ended up considering was what the rich give and take from the economy. The upper 2% are the large business owners, they benefit the most from our country's resources, be it labor, material, fuel, public works, public safety (police and firefighters), simply because their holdings use far more of these resources. In the past, before Reagan, higher taxes on the income of the rich made it so the rich would invest back into their companies, creating more jobs, buying more industrial and commercial equipment, and generally investing in the economy as a whole, instead of pocketing the money. Lowering the taxes on the rich made it so that the rich pocket the money rather than invest it.

Instead of giving the rich tax cuts, I'm TOTALLY behind giving employers and entrepreneurs tax incentives, you know, tax breaks for hiring new people or giving employee's raises or benefits, tax breaks on buying or renovating equipment, any number of things that makes it easier and desirable to invest in their companies.

Long story short: Give consumers the means to consume, make it so suppliers have all the reason in the world to supply.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Next

Return to Politics