April Goes Wild (Not what you think.. Or is it?)

Who should I be rooting for?

April Goes Wild (Not what you think.. Or is it?)

Postby iroNy on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:28 am

March Madness..pfft.

Spurs!
Holy crap that was a wild game. On my lunch break I watched Finley tie it in the 4th with a 3 to take it into OT, I considered taking a longer lunch vs a lecture, but seeing as the pharmacist can just walk into the break room and drag my ass back to work, I turned it off and reluctantly went back. On a break later I'm surprised to see the game is still on and in double OT. Manu does what he does best in the last 2 minutes of every close game. Spurs by 2 in game 1 of the Wild West.

X-Factor: Barbosa. The Suns fan in me is not happy that the playoffs will rest on his performance. He's the A-Rod of the Suns. A crucial 24 sec violation and missing a hurried jumper that could've won the game. His playoff history reads like A-Rod's playoffs score card. Ouch.

Feel Good: Grant Hill. 6 years, multiple surgeries, a flirt with early retirement in Orlando have tarnished his record but this is one of the classiest players in the NBA. Until an injury forced trade to the Magic, the class of '94 co-rookie of the year (with Jason Kidd) was a lock to be a hall of famer. He's now an excellent replacement for the departed Matrix, much to the chagrin all the Magic fans, to whom he'll be the most hated player ever because of all the cap room he took.

The East? Boston blows everyone away. Seriously. Boston over Detroit in 5 in the East championship series. Best story of the East is King James. Dissed by DeShawn Stevenson as overrated, Lebron decimated the Wizards and even mocked Stevenson with a John Cena "You Can't See Me" hand wave after a dunk. Cavs in 4, the King is a one man team, but a one man team can't win it all...

...Speaking of KB23 for MVP, I'm going to say that award should go to CP3. The V stands for value and even though Kobe carries the team, Charisma Chris bulldozed the Hornets' nest into the playoffs. Switch Tantrum Bryant with Chemistry Chris and watch the results. So this year, CP3 should be MVP.

Last note:

Ironic Sonics: 'Right Seattle, you're a lottery team for years. Your star players can't get you to care about your team. The last player you had with any sort of emotion to get you into the game was called the Glove, whom you traded away in '03 only to get back halfway through the season then you trade him again to the Lakers next year. Then your team wallows in la-la land for the next 4 years and in '08 land one of the two biggest names in the lottery picks.
Your team owners announce before the season that they want to move your team to Oklahoma. Your citizens utter a collective meh. Then your season starts, nothing new, the losses still rack up. But then you turn on your TV and see your new boy play his heart out. He puts up superstar numbers and is downcast after losses and even after wins where he thinks he didn't perform well. This is it, this is what you've been waiting for. Your new boy Kevin Durant might just be the savior of your team. *Ba-bump* What was that? Your heart just beat. The love of your team returns. Then David Sterns gives the O-K for the team to move to OK. Where's the crash cart?
When it rains in Sea-attle, it pours. Tears.
Meet Masuka version Season 1.
iroNy

Re: April Goes Wild (Not what you think.. Or is it?)

Postby David Yun on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Spurs v. Suns WAS the best game I've seen in ages.

And yep, Boston is for real. Sure, anything can happen in a limited series, but if they don't win a championship, it's an upset. They get to cakewalk to the Finals, while all the West teams bust themselves up on each other. Even if that weren't the case, the Celtics are deeper and more talented than any other club out there. I hate them. If the Lakers manage to claw to the Finals, as COOL as the rivalry would be, I'd rather face any other team out of the East.

As for MPV, that all depends on your criteria. Mine is is Value as determined by estimated wins added by the player. In baseball, that'd be simple for me. You just give it to the guy with the highest VORP (Value Over Replacement Player) adjusted by defensive metrics. Basketball statistics haven't reached that sort of objective analysis as yet, but if I had a vote, I'd have to give it to Kobe. If you really crunch their contributions, depending on what sort of arguments you make, it's close if you only consider offense. When you tally in Chris Paul's defensive liabilities (he's small, guards that he defends score more than the league average, although, yes, his steals numbers mitigate that somewhat), Kobe pulls away. I think Bryant's a prick as well, but he does play stifling defense that absolutely should be highly valued. I doubt anyone would argue with me that he's the best two-way player since Jordan. It wouldn't be a travesty if CP wins the award; he's a terrific player. But if it came down to it, I'd take a KG argument more seriously than one for CP.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Parsifal on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:13 pm

*hands you both moist towelettes and kleenex*
Parsifal

Postby David Yun on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Cheese off, Mr. "I like sports; I just prefer to play them".
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby iroNy on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:10 am

And he barely plays them. On a side note to Dave, Arturo and Joel on our one outing at tennis. I should have clarified why I had to take an hour off of tennis and went to the basketball court. My tennis rackets had been in my car so long that the tape on the handles melted and after a while my hands started chaffing as the handles felt like sandpaper after 15 minutes.
Also, playing basketball with Danny is an experience in itself. I'd have to say things went awry when I went up for a rebound and when I looked down found Danny right under me. I tried avoiding him, and came down on my ankle. That was the end of basketball mornings. Although I couldn't quite grasp why we didn't take it up again when my ankle healed until Mike reminded me of Arturo vs Danny. It's like two bulls fighting over a pebble.
Meet Masuka version Season 1.
iroNy

Postby james on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:00 am

iroNy wrote:And he barely plays them. On a side note to Dave, Arturo and Joel on our one outing at tennis. I should have clarified why I had to take an hour off of tennis and went to the basketball court. My tennis rackets had been in my car so long that the tape on the handles melted and after a while my hands started chaffing as the handles felt like sandpaper after 15 minutes.
Also, playing basketball with Danny is an experience in itself. I'd have to say things went awry when I went up for a rebound and when I looked down found Danny right under me. I tried avoiding him, and came down on my ankle. That was the end of basketball mornings. Although I couldn't quite grasp why we didn't take it up again when my ankle healed until Mike reminded me of Arturo vs Danny. It's like two bulls fighting over a pebble.

HAHAHA.... I know what you mean... Only played basket ball with the guys once.... it was fun, but frustrating. (not that I am very good):P The most important thing to remember is to never spar with Arturo.... He is either on or off.... there is no "sparing" for him :P
http://www.redlinedaily.com

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals.
Meat is Murder.... Tasty, Tasty Murder.
james

Postby Parsifal on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:58 am

In other news, Saturday Tennis is back on.
Parsifal

Postby Mike on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:57 pm

Parsifal wrote:In other news, Saturday Tennis is back on.

Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Return to Sports