The National Team Finally Good at Something!

Who should I be rooting for?

The National Team Finally Good at Something!

Postby Zephyr190 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:30 am

Are there any other English people here? That watched us become the best cricketers in the world by completely whitewashing India? I hope it's not just me :(. Either way it's awesome, we're finally back at the top of our game. Next attempt, Rugby world cup.
Zephyr190

Re: The National Team Finally Good at Something!

Postby David Yun on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:01 am

I'd very much like if somebody coherently explained the rules of cricket :)
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Zephyr190 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 am

I might be able to give it a go, certain American comedy shows do make it sound far more difficult than it actually is.

There are 2 teams of 11 people, the batting team and the fielding team. The fielding team disperse themselves around the field, their aim is to get the batting team "out". Of the 11 people on the fielding team there is one bowler and one wicket-keeper along with 9 fielders. The batting team has 2 batsmen on the field in a section called the pitch, which is the space between the wickets where the bowling and running is done. The batting team's objective is to score as many runs (points) possible before either they are all out or the match ends.

The bowler bowls the ball towards the batsman at the front wicket (always in the same direction) and the batsman hits it with the bat. If the batsman believes there is time before the fielders return the ball then the pair run to their opposite wickets to score a run, this can be done as many times as they see fit. If the ball goes over a boundary at the edge of the field they automatically score 4 runs, and if it does it without touching the ground it's 6 runs. Any actual runs made are invalid if a 4 or 6 is called.

There are a number of ways the fielders can get the batsman out.
- Caught out: Where a fielder catches the ball after the batsman has hit it but before it hits the ground.
- Bowled out: Where the bowler manages to get the ball past the batsman and knock off the small wooden stumps on top of the wickets.
- Hit wicket: If the batsman accidentally knocks off his own stumps.
- Ran out/stumped out: One and a half bat lengths in front of the wickets is the safe zone known as the crease. If the batsman is outside the crease for any reason, any fielding player can knock the stumps off with the ball. If the batsmen were running then it is the person running towards those wickets that is out. If they were not then it was the person who should have been in that crease that is declared out.
- Leg before wicket: The hardest call to make, made a lot easier by the involvement of computer technology. If the batsman would have been bowled out, but blocks the ball with his leg (without it hitting the bat) then they are out.

There are a few other very rarely seen outs (I had to look these up, as a gentleman's game these are pretty much never seen)
- Hit twice: If the batsman hits the ball twice with the bat
- Obstructing the field: If a batsman purposefully gets in the way of play as he leaves the field.
- Handling the ball: If the batsman purposefully uses his hands to get in the way of the ball. Essentially a handball, however this does not apply if his hand is gripping the bat.
- Timed out: If the next batsman does not come onto the pitch in a timely fashion after a teammate is out.

The time the game goes on for is determined by a number of innings. In test cricket, the innings is the time from the first batsman on the pitch to 10 batsmen being out (This is known as all out, despite the fact that there is still 1 man left. It's because you need 2 people on the pitch). After the innings is over the teams switch roles and the new batting side plays their innings. Test cricket traditionally plays 2 innings each way, however if the final innings is not needed (the team batting second scored so highly that the other team's combined score from both innings still does not beat it) then the team can elect to not play that innings as they have already won. This is remarkably common. In other forms of cricket the length of the innings is decided by a number of overs, where an over is the ball being bowled 6 times. In one day internationals this is 50 overs for either one or two innings, in twenty20 there are 20 overs played per innings for one or two innings. Local (county) teams tend to play either test or ODI rules depending on the league, or in friendlies just what the players fancy.

That's not all the rules, but far more than you actually need to know to understand what's going on. That did actually turn into quite an essay, I think it's coherent. This is also fairly good though I'm somewhat dubious of some of the things said http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/c ... sheet.html
Zephyr190

Postby David Yun on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:10 am

Okay, with basketball headed for a striked season, I need to replace my sports obsession with something else.

(Those arrogant NBA knuckleheads can't figure out how to split 4 BILLION dollars?! Fine, enjoy not making ANY money, assholes.)

So, cricket eh? It doesn't sound too fundamentally different from baseball. I do have a question though; why do matches take several DAYS?
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Zephyr190 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:26 am

It's only test matches that take days. There's no time limit or over limit on each innings, so they tend to play defensively unless they can definitely get a good shot in. It takes a surprising amount of time to get 10 people out if they're playing defensively. Then there's the fact that if the bowling side hasn't got everyone out in the final innings before the end of the week then the match is declared a draw, so a losing side will drag out their last innings as long as possible. The main reason though is that it has to be played in daylight, no floodlights allowed.

It is considerably easier to get into cricket through One Day Internationals (ODIs) though, they only last a few hours. There's always 20-20 too, they're pretty short games. Test cricket is an endurance trial for all involved, especially the spectators. Great game when you're into it, but especially over a test series you're looking at about a month's worth of sporting goodness.

What is going on with American sports anyways? I heard there was a problem with football (it made my teeth hurt to write that), then baseball or basketball or both, but there's very little coverage of what's happening over here.
Zephyr190

Postby MadCat on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Zephyr190 wrote:I heard there was a problem with football (it made my teeth hurt to write that)

That's because American "football" is misnamed! Behold!

I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby David Yun on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:11 am

Well, the National Handegg League was negotiating a new CBA (collective bargaining agreement), but a strike was prevented because the owners had all the leverage. They shoved through a new contract because these millionaire athletes are broke.

The NBA's CBA also expired this year, but the billionaire owners are as stupid and broke as the players. So they're both staring at each other arguing how to split up 4 billion dollars. And we get no basketball.

In lieu of hoops, I am preparing to become a die hard cricket fan. I'm going to have to reject even the existence of test matches, but I will root hard for England in ODIs for two reasons:

1) Zephyr is awesome
2) The English team logo is even awesomer

How do I go about buying this shirt in America? : http://store.ecb.co.uk/stores/ecb/products/kit_selector.aspx?selector=190
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Zephyr190 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Brilliant! Always nice to get a nice cold bevvy and watch a bit of cricket!

Over here they stock international teams shirts in the larger of the sports equipment shops, that's where I'd try. Failing that, ebay. It is a pretty awesome logo, 3 lions on the shirt and all that.
Zephyr190

Postby MadCat on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:12 am

Or have an inside source, someone who lives in that country, so they can can easily acquire it in a sports equipment shop, then sell it to you on ebay/some other form of transaction. :mrgreen:
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Zephyr190 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:28 am

It's a good idea Madcat, but with international shipping and customs charges sending it over would probably cost more than the thing's worth. There must be someone, somewhere in the US that sells them.
Zephyr190

Next

Return to Sports