Beijing Olympics

Who should I be rooting for?

Beijing Olympics

Postby JohnP on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:34 am

So who's in Favor of it? Who's against it? Political Issue's Etc?

And as of now three countries already have a gold.

On The sport side:

What Sports will you watch if any?
What Country will you be rooting for?
John
-------
JohnP

Re: Beijing Olympics

Postby David Yun on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:53 am

Aside from the Brazilian women's volleyball team, I have no interest. The Olympics have lost virtually all relevance in today's sports climate.

As for the upside of political scrutiny, we need to remember that China's solution to dealing with their health/drugs scandal was to EXECUTE the minister in charge of the regulating body. A bunch of left-wing protesters who do NOT understand the culture have little chance of bringing about meaningful change.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Yino on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:51 pm

Well, China got the Olympics, but the political thing goes in a separate issue. For me, being against the Olympics because of China's "unethical" way to solve things, is as dumb as refusing to eat McDonalds because of the Irak war (yes, there's people who do that).

As for who am I rooting for. I'm rooting for my country of course. And I'll be watching the tennis, we got three medals there in the last olympics :D.
<insert signature>
Yino

Postby JohnP on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:22 am

Heh I'll Be Rooting for your Neighbor Argentina, since I am from there.

As for the Political tension I complete agree with David, they have different takes on whats right and what wrong.
John
-------
JohnP

Postby MadCat on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:03 am

USA got all 3 medals in Women's Fencing.

It made me happy. :mrgreen:

(and no, I'm not really watching the Olympics, but I love Fencing and it happened to be on once when I was downstairs - it was on the Bronze bout, so I watched that one, then the Gold one.)
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Mike on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:08 am

David Yun wrote:A bunch of left-wing protesters who do NOT understand the culture have little chance of bringing about meaningful change.

I gotta say. I "get" it... but jesus christ. You go into a country that doesn't have freedom of speech written into the laws.... and start shit.

Dumb Americans...
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby David Yun on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:23 pm

The very phrase "freedom of speech" would be an alien concept. The Chinese value system is completely different from ours, and much older (and thus ingrained harder) by several orders of magnitude.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby iroNy on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 am

Whatever your views on China, it's become an economic powerhouse. The middle class there has exploded and is only growing. Walmart is branded over there as the place to go for high end items. Stark contrast to the name recognition here. American made items are being sold there a lot because we're known for quality products. With that kind of export power, nothing short of genocide will get our government to do much of anything there. Besides, we've depleted our forces fighting in the middle east. Vietnam is a success compared to both pres. Bushes wars in Iraq. Not since the great Depression has a president messed up this badly and there are theories that GHW Bush did it all on purpose. All those gaffs on TV were not mistakes but calculated PR moves to keep his image as the bungling leader we've all come to hate. Now ask yourself where has our Vice Pres been the past two years?

As all eyes are on the Olympics, there's a military coup in Georgia, Russia. Georgia was a Bush backed democracy and any democracy is good, as the Washington Post likes to point out. Except that according to the Associated Press, the democratically elected President was corrupt and pissed off all the military leaders a year ago when he dismissed them all form their posts. Democracy, corruption, coup, Russian invasion. Vicious cycle.

1992 Barcelona Olympics. Afgan war. Croatian War. I remember hearing a story of some prisoners of a small village being held just at the borders of Italy. One of the prisoners had hidden a small radio and was able to listen in on the Olympics. All it did was make them feel worse because they knew the border was so close and the news was of nothing but the Olympics with a small smattering of their war as a minor side note. Help would not be comming and that is a shitty predicament.

Wait? What was this thread about? :P
Olympics have become tainted. Not by political issues but by steroids. Steroids should be come legal and why shouldn't it? Where's the concrete proof that the good doesn't out weigh the bad of steroids? Steroids brought baseball back into relevance and they're all over the Olympics. Steroids beat the Nazis in those Olympics. Steroids made Steve Rogers into Captain America. I want a sports league where all the athletes are 'roided. As I told Dee, I advocate steroids for better standards of living.

/sarcasm-satire
probably.
Meet Masuka version Season 1.
iroNy

Postby David Yun on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 am

Eat it Frenchies! - http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3529125

Gotta love it when the trash-talker gets served.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby David Yun on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Not to take anything away from Michael Phelps or other amazing athletes, but the greatest moment of the Olympics was the beach volleyball bikini cheerleading squad doing their routine in the rain.
David Yun
Site Admin

Next

Return to Sports