Xander's girlfriend

Discuss the comic strip!

Xander's girlfriend

Postby Yino on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:52 pm

If it wasn't for your blog post I'd have never guessed she was dead. Poor Xander :(
<insert signature>
Yino

Re: Xander's girlfriend

Postby MadCat on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Yep. :( His backstory is pretty sad. But like I said, in the interests of saving this scene from becoming too long, I had to save it for another time. That tidbit of info seemed relevant going forward though, so I had to get it across somehow. In retrospect, maybe I should have tried harder to figure out how to slip it in there. Well, I'm learning as I go! :D
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Jayleia on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Actually, if ou'd come up to me and ask "Is Xander's girlfriend dead or alive?", I'd have said dead. Every bit of non-flashback art with him feels different from any other character's art, it feels gloomy
Jayleia

Postby Panda S. H. on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Hm... Well, I can't say that I'm surprised by the fact... Back on strip 393, I got the impression that there was something heavy behind Xander's "...I'm sorry." Sort of to imply, "I'm sorry you were upset over that, but I wouldn't change it for the world."

Maybe, if you ever feel like revising any of these strips, you could touch base on it with Eurydice's insecurities. Like, when she goes on that explosive non-rant about how badly she could be hurt by loving someone. It seems her biggest concern is betrayal...but because she's so close to Xander, it wouldn't be improbable for her to think about how badly (I'm assuming) he was hurt when his girlfriend died. Just make the non-rant into a rant.

There are plenty of opportunities, but that seems to me to be the one with the least amount of art revisions.

But yeah, with all of Xander's ellipses in the scene, it feels like he's remembering his own pain when talking about Eurydice's hypothetical pain. :<
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby MadCat on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Okay... It sounds like I managed to convey it okay, or at least suggest it, then. I'm glad.

In retrospect maybe I should have kept some of it in there, to show that yes, Xander knows quite well how badly losing a loved one can hurt, and Eurydice has seen him go through it, so she can imagine how bad it can get.

"Losing the one you love" is quite intimidating to her, now, and a large part of why she was so concerned when Rissa fell in love... what if Rissa loses her loved one? Will it hurt her like that as well? Rissa getting hurt = Big No-No in Eurydice-Land!

And so Eurydice scorns love for this, and works hard to avoid it, but Xander's still convinced it's worth it, despite the pain, and is trying to convince Eury of that, too.
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby blackfirefox on Tue May 03, 2011 5:30 am

Mmm, all this is getting deep. Makes me wonder if she'll be convinced or not, but that will come in time. Hope this doesn't stay so gloomy or I'll cry o.o
Kitty in a pudding cup~ So cute~ <3
blackfirefox

Postby MadCat on Tue May 03, 2011 7:06 am

Aww, no cry! :( The sad stuff will hopefully be done soon, I promise! >< I'm trying to put in enough cuteness to counterbalance it long enough for us to get through the downs and back to the happy!
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby blackfirefox on Tue May 03, 2011 6:47 pm

:3 kay~! I won't cry, at least not yet, kay Your Grace? heehee <3 I'll be good for now.
Kitty in a pudding cup~ So cute~ <3
blackfirefox

Postby Panda S. H. on Wed May 04, 2011 2:18 am

So, I assume we get to see the grave/memorial-type-thing for Xander's other business.
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby MadCat on Thu May 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Business? I yam confused...

This is the girlfriend's grave (for her current lifetime). I suppose, in retrospect, I didn't need to 'jump the gun', as it were, and announce her death, since this strip confirms that fact. But at the time, I felt it needed saying, I guess? Dunno... this is all a learning process for me, lol. XD
MadCat
=^-^=

Next

Return to Everwas