Role Playing Thread

The inaugural game was won by Paul & Dee (Germany)

Role Playing Thread

Postby David Yun on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 am

The neutral state of Switzerland will observe and report on the impending military and diplomatic conflict threatening our great Continent.

Already, one sovereign power has sought to bribe us for secret intelligence! Both Eastern empires have rattled their verbal sabers, claiming an impending rise to prominence! Another ruler is clearly the result of inbred madness:

"Can we attack and rename enemy lands? I'd really like to attack Turkey and rename their capitol Cuntstaintinipple."

Unfortunately, the answer is yes: Switzerland will acknowledge such terminology for the purposes of diplomacy and interpreting military orders. Just so long as it is completely unambiguous what the intent is.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Role Playing Thread

Postby David Yun on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:30 am

It is considered honorable to make a public Declaration of War before engaging in military hostilities. This includes any allied forces that provide support. These States of War shall persist until the parties involved sue for peace, until the cessation of hostilities is officially recognized by the Swiss office.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Mike on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:47 pm

A proclamation:

By the word of Pope Leo XIII, King Victor Emmanuel III and his prime ministers have been forcibly removed from power. The country of Italia is now being overseen by His Holiness, Pope Leo XIII. I, Vincenzo Corselli, have been appointed head of all domestic and foreign affairs as High Inquisitor.

A great schism seizes Europe. For too long have we allowed false ideas and worship to spread unchecked. Defying the word of the Papacy is defying the word of He who speaks only to His Holiness. Heathen nations grow in strength and threaten the dynasty of followers of Catholic and Christian principals. Beliefs based on a hedonistic immoral King's impulsive selfishness has become an accepted way of life in the west. This is unacceptable!

No longer can we allow these heathen ideas to spread and destroy what morality is left in this cruel harsh world! As we advance our civilizations the schism between all people grows. Through the influence of the Muslims, Jewish, and Protestants, Europe is more divided than ever before. I call for unity among the people and powers who are to follow the ways of the One True God to destroy this schism between us! Accept the love of God into your heart. Repent! Repent and join the Host that will bring the world back together!
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby weather wizard on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 am

From King David I, Parliament, and all the member states of the Commonwealth of the United Kingdom:

The Empire upon which the sun never sets greets all the great powers of Europe and their august leaders. Such a magnificent body of culturally and intellectually superior has never before been assembled. Let us progress into the future with the light of reason and enlightenment guiding our path affirming that the Almighty is our Lord and Savior.

However, the recent coup in the Kingdom of Italy troubles us as it threatens to undermine hundreds of years of progress that Europe has made. While we respect his Eminence, we shall not again be bullied by a religious authority in the realm of politics and liberty. Europe has spilled too much blood 'in the name of God' while true Christian virtues were ignored. Shall we ignore 300 years of religious warfare? Shall we forget that England, France, and Germany all suffered as battlefields for political wars under the guise of religious righteousness? To all men under God and reason, NAY! Europe has emerged from the darkness of barbarism to claim its rightful rule over all of the known world, spreading its colonies far abroad, through the power of Reason and Enlightenment.

Shall France yet again suffer another Revolution? We all know how the intolerance of the previous monarchs set ablaze the nation and then all of Europe. Shall Germany be again divided into dozens of principalities when it was united under the banner of reason and nationalism? We must not descend into ideological barbarism that nearly destroyed us.
What of Russia, who's Greek Orthodox faith is nearly as old as Catholicism itself? What of Turkey who has made great strides to join the Civilized world by becoming an increasingly secular kingdom? We must not isolate these powers lest their enmity returns us to another era of crusader mishaps.

Europe has triumphed over the known world because we are intellectually, scientifically, and spiritually superior. We have evolved beyond the chaotic barbarism that afflicts our colonial frontiers. We have a mandate from God to civilize these lost souls, but this attempt to splinter us will detract from our God given mission. The Empire of Great Britain implores all nations to join Reason and Innate Superiority. Let us persuade and implore his Eminence and his allies to reconsider this ruinous path.
weather wizard

Postby Zeke on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:33 pm

From the Empire of King Joseph Kraus,
A query for King David I, so Europe has triumphed over the known world through intellectual, scientific and spiritual superiority I see. I see no mention of the great British Navy that protects its hedonistic people behind the English Channel. Would his Majesty's great Navy perhaps be a large factor in Britain's "colonization" of the known world? The very type of bullying you accuse his Eminence Pope Leo XIII seems to be a matter of policy among your people. What you call "colonization" through intellectual, scientific and spritual superiority we see as acts of subjugation through military prowess. How can you, King David I, possibly accuse his holiness of improper ideology or conduct when your own people have clearly crossed the lines of morality.

*The edit is due to Kang correcting my trusting of Vargas*...that is all... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Zeke on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeke

Postby Mike on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:42 pm

From the voice of His Holiness, High Inquisitor Corselli.

Ruinous path!? This coming from the spawn of a traitor king. Defying the word of God, claiming it to be his own out of his own hedonism and obsession. A country that left God behind and was defeated by bands of forest dwellers and muskets. Now they call for reason and superiority!? Ha!

We do not quarrel "King" David. We offer forgiveness to those living, knowingly or unknowingly, in sin. We request no bloodshed and no divide. We request a great union under the guidance of His Eminence! This is a chance for Europe to unite under truth and morality!

We offer you a chance to repent. We do not wish to despoil this world in yet another war; this is what we are trying desperately to avoid! Italia's power was reluctantly usurped due to the King's continual apathy towards uniting the world! Nay, God has not ordered us to march into strife.

You claim that God has given you a mandate to "civilize these lost souls." Offense! Who among you has the authority to speak on God's will?! God speaks directly to the papal line, and yes, you are correct, we have been mandated to civilize lost souls. Sadly, we allowed Europe to be overrun and morphed by these heathens and must first turn to our neighbors and offer them sanctuary.

Your attempts to attack the word of God as an act of war puts a stain on your soul. We offer you, and the rest of Europe, a chance to redeem yourselves in the eyes of God. This divide among powers and warmongering must end if we are to fulfill the plan God has laid out for all of us.
Semper Iratus, Motherfucker.
Mike
S3 Forum Gladiator

Postby Chang on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:15 am

Take heed, O nations, to the benevolent words of Sultan Chang, First of His Name, Emperor of the Eternal State, and Lord of the Queen of Cities.

As his voice to the world, I, Suleiman al Jalali, Grand Vizier and Chief Foreign Advisor, extend to you, the great nations, greetings from the Emperor. Already, news and communiquès have travelled to our glorious lands, bringing glad tidings and dark portents.

Be aware, the Eternal State will not allow itself to be the target of the ill-intentioned zealots that stream out of the self-righteous "boo"t like a festering sore. Turkey has repelled countless crusades for five hundred years, and will continue to be a bulwark against any and all enemies.

We pray that all of our encounters with you, the nations of the world, will be peaceful and prosperous in the future. We also warn any that intend harm, for we will not hesitate to strike back with the swift and righteous sword of Allah.

Assalamu Alaokum
Chang

Postby trebuchet on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:04 am

On behalf of His Royal Majesty, Kaiser Friedrich Viktor Albert Wilhelm II, Sovereign of Prussia and 2nd Great Unifier of all Grossdeutchland,

From the distinguished desk of Reichskanzler Otto von Paulmark, his appointed representative,

Greetings!

His Royal Majesty wishes to extend warm and heartfelt greetings to all industrialized nations of Europe. And to any nation unfortunate enough to still be "pre-industrial" we will bring you the light of commerce and industry shortly!

As to the papal proclamation: while his Majesty recognizes his Holiness to rule the sovereign nation of Italy in any way he sees fit, the Empire of Germany shall never again take upon the papal yoke of medieval days gone by! We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ, through his servants Martin Luther and John Calvin, freed all mankind to pursue greater and ever greater heights of achievement through science and industry. Far be it that any man should forsake his God-given gifts of Intellect, Perception, and Efficiency. This is the age of science and reason! Man has finally subdued the earth, not through blind faith or religious crusade but through the Scientific Method, Engineering, and man-made Machines!

Therefore it is with unassailable logic and reason that his Royal Majesty, Kaiser Friedrich Viktor Albert Wilhelm II, Sovereign of Prussia and 2nd Great Unifier of all Grossdeutchland, proclaims, through the co-sponsorship of his Royal Highness King David I of Britain, the forming of The Anti-Catholic League.

All industrialized nations are encouraged to apply for membership. No Jews, please.

Reichskanzler Otto von Paulmark, representative of Kaiser Friedrich Viktor Albert Wilhelm II, Sovereign of Prussia and 2nd Great Unifier of all Grossdeutchland
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby David Yun on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:41 pm

The neutral state of Switzerland senses a brewing peril in the words being bandied about by the masters of Europe. Despite the double pronged advances of Reason and Science as means to grasp the mysteries laid before us by The Almighty, it would appear that the time has returned when men weary of peace.

It has come to our attention that potential accords and covenants are the cause of much furious discourse, in anticipation of the coming tides of war. Naturally, we understand the need for state secrecy and the desire to withhold the explicit nature of such negotiations - but let us not forget that even in our weakness, we are still Men, created in the image of God. Even in the lack of gentleness and the ailing twilight of trust, even unto the very heart of mortal conflict, let us not eschew the honor and dignity of our noble station.

To lessen the inevitable chaos, and limit the destruction visited upon the common citizenry, it would behoove all powers to publicly state their stances and positions with one another. Thus shall a record be maintained of those who stood steadfast in righteous incorruption and those who acted with feckless treachery. Let history judge between the two.

For example, this "Anti-Catholic League" founded by the joint cause of the Britons and Reichsdeutsche - what is the nature of this compact?

Switzerland shall recognize three states of increasing fidelity between the European powers. Once publicly declared, we shall transcribe them onto The Scorecard for all to witness, where they shall remain unless they be abrogated by betrayal. Below are the three treaties and the numeric value of their strengths:

Non-Aggression Pact (1) - Members agree not to engage in military hostilities with their fellows
Mutual Defense Treaty (2) - Members agree to defend (support action) any of their fellows under threat of invasion
Alliance (3) - Members are to be a brotherhood, spilling the blood of any who spills the blood of their fellows; declaring war on any in a state of war with their fellows

The faithfulness of all nations shall be witnessed by The Treachery Index. For example, breaking a Non-Aggression Pact shall result on a permanent one (1) point increase in a nation's standing in The Treachery Index. Failing to comply with the obligations of a Mutual Defense Treaty shall result in a loss of one (1) point, and actually attacking a Mutual Defense ally shall result in a loss of two (2). And so on. One (1) point shall also be assessed to those who are shown to engage in secret treaties. Are we thieves and brigands, that we hide our deeds from the light of day?

Switzerland shall objectively adjudicate increases to any nation's Treachery Index, based on all available public information. If a nation wishes to file a grievance against a neighbor concerning abrogations of honor not covered under the aforementioned policies, they may produce any evidence and present it to our office. It shall be weighed and any truly offending nations awarded Treachery Points accordingly.

Thus, it is hoped that even the most base among us shall be shamed into behaving as Children of the Most High, and that time shall reveal those unworthy of our trust.

[OOC: The Treachery Index will have no bearing on the actual victory conditions, but I think it'll be a fun secondary "score" to witness.]
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Zeke on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:04 pm

A Declaration from King Joseph Kraus of the Austrian Empire.
It is my intention that we do not engage in hostilities with our brothers to our west. Therefore this is a formal declaration that the Austrian Empire will not engage in aggression towards Italy.
(OOC: non-aggression pact)

It is also my intention that we do not engage in hostilities with the Great Bear and his formidible forces, weathered by the cold climate of Russia. Therefore this is a formal declaration that the Austrian Empire is accepting the non-aggression pact that the Czar has proposed.

We currently wish no Ill will towards the island dwellers of King David I, nor do we wish hostilities with the most westward nation of France.

We would also like to take this time to give ample warning and declare that any militarization near Austria's northern borders will be taken as an act of war against our good people and will be met with swift retribution from the righteous hammer of God.
Zeke

Next

Return to Diplomacy I