Vetoed Trade

Congratz Joel!

Vetoed Trade

Postby David Yun on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:40 pm

A potential trade swapping Aaron Rodgers and Alfred Morris, to the best of my understanding, was nixed by the commissioner, and we have unhappy people. Why aren't any of the involved parties discussing this publicly? Transparency and communication are important.

Without sharing my own thoughts regarding the legitimacy of the trade itself (we can get into that if necessary after this initial step), it seems to me that we failed to follow protocol.

This matter was only possible because Joel extended the trade deadline, because we hadn't at that point nailed down the particulars of our dynasty regulations (which, as it happens, has significant bearing on this trade). He didn't have to do that, but wanted to give our owners the chance to adapt to this new paradigm and respond with roster moves, if desired. The involved parties failed to post this particular trade before the original deadline.

Since the trade deadline set by league settings had passed, the swap required the commissioner to push it through, similar to the three-way trade I brokered earlier this season. At the time, I went to some trouble to ensure that my trade was public knowledge and to establish that procedure as a precedent. I posted here, and in the ESPN provided forum, and emailed the particulars of the trade. I'm not saying that that level of triplicate bureaucracy is required, but I did so to leave no room for misunderstanding.

For a manual trade to pass, it needs to be posted here for the requisite two days for peer review, including assent from each participating party (or communication to that effect to the commissioner). Regardless of the vote, it is ultimately the duty of the commissioner to make a judgment call whether to uphold or veto the trade (of course, owners' votes should weigh heavily into this decision - he is supposed to be serving the owners, thankless though the role may be).

I'm only posting this to more firmly establish procedure, in an effort to avoid these sorts of situations moving forward. It's not my place to speak on behalf of the commissioner regarding his particular judgment call, which we can discuss, as a community, if necessary to establish common values.

However, I do publicly discount any notion that Joel vetoed the trade based on the motivation of avoiding Aaron Rodgers in his matchup today. Peeps can put that shit right out of their heads.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Vetoed Trade

Postby Zeke on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:11 am

The last text I received regarding the trade from Kang was on 11/21 and did not contain the details of the trade. The first time I spoke with Paul (also on 11/21) I stated to post the trade in the forums and that I was extending the trade deadline for another week. The trade must be put up for public review regardless of my decision to uphold or veto. I will still push a trade through if the trade is posted and passed by the other owners no later than the extended trade deadline midnight pacific time 11/28 (the trade will process in time for the Sunday games but obviously not in time for the Thursday game if posted by then.)
Zeke

Postby trebuchet on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:28 am

Then you need to communicate better, Joel. I texted you back asking for particulars because there was no forum topic for trades past the deadline as yet. You weren't texting me back so I called you to get that information which is when you informed me that you'd be vetoing the trade. The last text I sent to you is STILL waiting for a reply. I even left you a voicemail (again, no reply). Full disclosure wasn't the problem. If there are certain procedures that you want me to follow, I will follow them. Just need the info in a more timely manner.
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby Zeke on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Paul, my fault I didn't catch your last text and I never checked my voicemail. I suppose I'll have to do that more often. I thought you had posted the trade up when you called me at dinner. When I got back to check it still wasn't up so I didn't know what was going on. Again my fault on follow through there. Apologies to the parties I dun pissed off. :oops:
Zeke

Return to 2012