League Rules Discussions

Congratz Joel!

League Rules Discussions

Postby David Yun on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Kang brought up a legitimate concern. With the bench being seven deep, we're able to stash tons of replacements, reducing the severity of roster management and the need for trades and waiver action.

I am considering dropping it to five. This would further have the benefit of eliminating two rounds of the draft (the less exciting final two at that).

We could also change 1 or 2 of those slots to Injured Reserve slots.

Thoughts fellas?
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: League Rules Discussions

Postby David Yun on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:12 pm

For the time being, I have reduced the bench to 5 slots - the other two have been converted to Injured Reserve, meaning a player can only be placed there if ESPN determines them to be eligible for the IR.

These rules adjustments are fluid until the season starts, so if there are any concerns, please do not hesitate to discuss them.

If these current settings stick, I will end the draft two rounds earlier.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby David Yun on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:23 am

For some silly reason, I can't add rookies to rosters until our draft is done.

Please note that New Jersey Clown Car have Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby David Yun on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:19 am

And Joel punched the another rookie:

Please note that New Jersey Clown Car also have Tampa Bay running back Doug Martin.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby David Yun on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:56 am

Paul grabbed a rookie:

Please note that the OC Trebuchets have Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby David Yun on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:40 am

Alex nabbed RG3.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby trebuchet on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:21 am

As for the extra bench slots: I think having one extra bench slot for every position (not including repeats and Flex) would be ideal. So that would mean six instead of five bench slots (QB, RB, WR, TE, D/ST, K). That way it would feel less arbitrary and the bench would serve a purpose (ostensibly that every owner should theoretically have one primary position player with one back-up for each position). Also, one IR slot would be fine with me.
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby David Yun on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:47 am

I personally lean strongly toward Kang's original reaction. We had a ridiculous amount of bench slots for an eight man league. Even with six bench slots (plus the IR), it'd be entirely possible we'd have multiple players that never need to make any further transactions. Carrying a backup defense AND a backup kicker AND a backup tight end is pretty n00bish. Instead, we'd just end up using the extra slot(s) to hoard an overabundance of sleepers for the "real" positions, drastically impacting the need for trades or even simple roster management. Even lots of real NFL teams only carry a single place kicker, and they certainly don't have backup defensive squads hanging around.

The waiver order and smart roster management should mean something.

This of course is my opinion predicated on my personal preferences. Five feels like the right number to carry competitive requirements. Raising it would be like when baseball expands the roster so AAA guys can get a taste of the bigs in meaningless games.

I'd definitely reconsider if there was a strong majority that preferred more bench slots, but I feel it's balanced right now. As it is, every player has scrap heap quality in that 5th bench slot as it is. I think if you want to carry extra role players (Ds, kickers, TEs), then release those longshots back into the pool. Assess if it's worth it. The idea is to prevent hoarding (I would've overloaded on RBs if that were the case, and you would've missed out on your last two backs, Paul).

Also, I'm about to end the draft. Everyone would have to stare at that pile of tertiary players pretty hard to come up with another round of picks to fill another slot.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby weather wizard on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 am

Heck, I wanted a 4 man bench and no IR (cop out). Dee wussed out and pandered to the masses! Making hard roster choices is one of the best parts of fantasy football. I played on a 10 team league with a 4 man bench and we had teams electing to NOT sub in a TE on their bye week. They cherished the roster spot more than the avg of 4pts that a TE would generate. Of course, it was serious LOL when one team lost by 3 points once.

That's cost analysis right there!
weather wizard

Postby David Yun on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:22 am

I had to re-enter every roster to finalize the draft. It was a pain in the ass, so I'm going to leave it to each player to ensure that their roster is accurate.

If there are any discrepancies please inform me.
David Yun
Site Admin

Next

Return to 2012