Breakdown and Trophies

Congratz Joel!

Breakdown and Trophies

Postby David Yun on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 am

WEEK 1

JEST (Dee) @ Cheesehead (Kang) 104-76

Just a terrible football day for Kang. First, his Packers lose at home. Then their best receiver (Jennings, who is ALSO on his fantasy team) hurt his groin. Fantasy wise, he lost a prime RB (Freddie Jax) for over a month, and he didn't even rack up points before getting hurt. Finally, his team grossly underperformed. I thought we were going to have a shootout over 110 each. But his QB Vick threw four picks, and my kicker (tied the longest FG record) outscored Kang's WRs (both), Flex, and Kicker combined.

The Jest didn't really explode either, but every single position chipped in at least respectable totals. Cam Newton's shoddy performance against the Bucs was a little worrisome, but otherwise a thoroughly satisfying week 1 for me.

Football is Magic (Vargas) @ Badgers (James) 93-77
No surprises out of FiM, but the Badgers crashed hard. First, James ditched his future HoFer Gonzalez, to play Dustin Keller of the Jets who was nursing a hamstring on top of that. Vargas picked up Gonz and won 11-0 in that matchup. What really surprised was the no shows by the Badgers running backs. Rashad Jennings got hurt and didn't produce much. And my irrational dislike of Chris Johnson turned out right, at least for a week. He kept trying to break the big play, and left "mundane" yardage on the table. Everyone liked him to have a massive rebound year, but not if he keeps that up that game plan.

Clown Car (Joel) @ Trebuchets (Paul) 89-66
Joel escaped a pedestrian performance with a win. His receivers will probably rebound, but he'll likely keep having issues at running back. Whatever, a win's a win!

Paul had...problems. He got a total of 14 points from his 4 receiving slots, including a goose egg from playing Denarious Moore. Who was listed as inactive. During the end of our draft, I started screwing around trying to organize a run on defenses. Paul was the loser of the musical chairs, and was the recipient of NEGATIVE four points from the defense that remained available to him. Peyton's performance was really encouraging though, and it's hard to imagine that Paul's team could be this bad again.

KoreaKillers (Mike) @ Gorillaz (Alex) 101-102
Man, what a nailbiter. It came down to Monday night, and Alex hung on to win by ONE. Even more agonizing for Mike, he had to watch his bench produce 85 points! That total would have beaten three of our league's teams this week. Kang's misfortune is his gain though - CJ Spiller is a fantasy stud when he gets enough carries. As tough as the loss was, Mike should feel pretty good going forward.

Alex sure dodged this one. His guys BLEW UP in the morning, only to have his afternoon players just lay down. He's got to feel good about Adrian Peterson's showing, and can build off an exciting win.

Trophies
Dee - Highest Point Total (week), Highest Point Total (of the season), Biggest Win, Biggest Win (of the season); +8 trophy points
James - Inscrutable Honey Badger; -2 trophy points
Mike - Flexed a Tight End, Highest Bench Total (of the season); -3 trophy points
Kang - Biggest Loss (week), Biggest Loss (of the season); -4 trophy points
Paul - Lowest Point Total (week), Lowest Point Total (of the season), Roster Derpiness; -5 trophy points
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Week 2

Postby David Yun on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:25 am

Football is Magic (Vargas) @ JEST (Dee) 87-88

I didn't win this game, so much as I failed to lose it. Aside from the Cam Newton show and Roddy White's last minute heroics, the number of factors that went into conspiring against me were preposterous.

1) McFadden sits out one play because he had something in his eye. His backup scores a long (and only Raiders) TD on a HB screen designed for DMC.

2) Bradshaw is injured early, leaves after putting up only 1 point.

3) Marshall drops a wide open TD, all alone and unmolested in the end zone.

4) On Vargas' end, Maclin is playing hurt with a hip injury (couldn't even finish the game), and able to only make 1 catch. A TD.

5) Again on his end, Steve Smith is COMPLETELY uncovered on a play. How do you leave a guy that dangerous completely alone at the NFL level?

6) The otherwise fantasy impaired Michael Turner gets a gift when the Falcons defense returns an interception to the 1 yard line. He barely manages to score on his third point blank attempt.

There's more, but those are the ludicrous standouts that in aggregate convinced me I was meant to lose this game. But it was just the Football Fates testing my steadfastness, and I didn't waver. That's a tough 1 point loss for Vargas.

Injuries have thinned my RB corps, so that's a significant concern moving forward.

For Vargas, Mike Turner just looks slower and older with every touch. When Donald Brown has much more upside as your RB2, that's a concern. He also has a surging WR to replace Maclin (Bowe, but he got his scores in garbage time), but his bench is all but depleted now after pressing all the available talent into service. He's going to have a tough time squeezing wins from that roster unless Aaron Rodgers duplicates last season.

Win trophy (+1) for Dee, Loss trophy (-1) for Vargas

Cheeseheads (Kang) @ Badgers (James) 102-73

Kang improbably topped 100 points with TWO goose eggs from his roster. That's a testament to the potency of his roster. Reggie Wayne was an excellent FA pickup for him, and bolstered his ailing WR corps. Fitzgerald is a problem moving forward. As long as Kolb is QBing for the Cardinals, Fitzy -as incredibly good as he is- projects to underperform. Still, Kang has a loaded team and rebounded nicely from a Week 1 loss.

I didn't like several of the Badgers personnel decisions this week, but that just means he has a large arsenal of options. His biggest problem is his #2 pick, Chris Johnson. He was supposed to have a massive rebound season, but through two weeks, is just murdering fantasy teams with his indecisive feet. 0-2 is a rough start for a team with this much talent on its roster. I'm somewhat concerned they'll stop underperforming next week when I face them.

Win trophy (+1) for Kang, Loss trophy (-1) for James

KoreaKillers (Mike) @ Clown Car (Joel) 122-129

WOW. That is a preposterous scoring bonanza. Mike eats another tough, tough loss. Both lineups were filled with improbable scoring explosions, and it came down to Julio only producing 1 point for Mike on Monday night. That 129 might hold up all season.

I figured Joel's biggest issue would be steady RB production, but now his guys look way better than mine. I don't recognize this Gore guy. There was this other Gore who ran for San Fran who couldn't break tackles or make anyone miss. This new Gore dude is solid. And which Trent Richardson is real? The arthritic one who couldn't plant and cut Week 1, or this dynamic all purpose three down fantasy beast we just saw? If his RB sitch is sorted, Clown Car could keep on punking everyone.

Mike's guys clearly don't deserve to be 0-2 (I commemorated this with a special trophy). Maybe the KoreaKillers can't beat non-Koreans? He's not going to get 19 out of Vernon Davis or 16 from his kicker routinely, but as long as Fred Jackson is rehabbing that knee, CJ Spiller will be solid for him. (Not 28 points solid, but still.) I'm also upgrading my opinion of Sproles. He's such a dynamo, but a WEEEIRD fantasy player. He's an RB with zero carries, averaging 11.5 points off receptions. He's like a mutant tiny speed tight end who dominates between the 20s, but is useless in the red zone. How do you gauge that properly? I think he's been playing to his fantasy ceiling, but clearly he's been useful to Mike thus far.

Win, High Score (week and season) trophies for Joel (+5); Loss and WTF trophies for Mike (net +1)

Special WTF trophy: Awarded to the player who has the most points through two weeks (223), but is somehow 0-2 because he had even more points (231) dumped on him.

Trebuchets (Paul) @ Gorillaz (Alex) 101-67

So Paul derp derped Week 1, and accepted his shame with suitable contrition and humility. This pleased the Football Fates and he rocked out a solid win.

I'm tempted to raise my opinion of Reggie Bush. They kept showing his long sideline run in highlights, but we all knew he did that sort of thing. I was MUCH more impressed by his power running on his shorter TD, just trampling Raiders defenders en route to scoring. I still don't trust him, but Paul's gut definitely reaped the rewards for drafting him this week. I should mess with the Raider fan by offering to trade McFadden straight up for Reggie :twisted:

Alex suffered more than just the loss (narrowly avoiding stealing Paul's low score of the season), as he lost both Forte and Aaron Hernandez to injuries. Those are special players, and it will be difficult to replace their production.

Win, Biggest Beatdown (week and season) trophies for Paul (+5); Loss, Lowest Score, and Biggest Beatings (week and season) trophies for Aliex (-6)

Clown Car 2-0, +6 TPs (Trophy Points)
JEST 2-0, +4 TPs
Magic 1-1, +0 TPs
Trebuchets 1-1, -1 TPs
Cheesehead 1-1, -1 TPs
Gorillaz 1-1, -5 TPs
KoreaKillers 0-2, -3 TPs
Badgers 0-2, -4 TPs
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Breakdown and Trophies

Postby trebuchet on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 am

Sweet mother, I'm so tempted to say "yes." :?
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby Zeke on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:27 am

Do it Paul, show your Raidernation fandom.
Zeke

Postby David Yun on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 am

New trophy: Waiver Find

+1 point to Vargas, Tony Gonzalez Week 1
+1 point to Kang, Reggie Wayne Week 2
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby David Yun on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:05 pm

@Paul - Your coach needs to wake up and stop trying to zone block. Raiders aren't "tech" like that. As soon as they simplify the O line assignments, McFadden will be the #1 fantasy back.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby trebuchet on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:31 pm

He's young. He'll learn.

Or die.
trebuchet

Week 3

Postby David Yun on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:58 am

JEST (Dee) @ Badgers (James) 84-120

What an ass whippin'. Both Badgers RBs had career days and it was simply the most brutal beatdown of our young season. It didn't help that I had Big Ben (31 points) sitting on the bench. That's the last time I blindly accept the pundits' projections without giving critical thought of my own to matchups. I had a transitional week, as Ryan Mathews returned, and needed to brush off some rust. Cam's inconsistency aside, I think I do have a good team. So does James if his RBs continue to step up.

Loss, Biggest Loss (week and season), Waiver Find trophies for Dee (net -4); Win, Biggest Win (week and season), Most Points (week) for James (+6)

Cheeseheads (Kang) @ Magic (Vargas) 63-86

Kang can't catch a break. His QB Philip Rivers put up 2. He benched Fitz just as he produced. Only Arian Foster stepped up, but not enough to prevent the Cheeseheads from posting the lowest score of the season to date. To top it off, his beloved Packers got jobbed out of a win on MNF by the incompetence of replacement refs. Kang's roster does look too good for this to be a pattern. Vargas' Friendship is Magic didn't do anything special, and didn't have to for this win. His RB situation is precarious moving forward.

Loss, Lowest Score (week and season) for Kang (-5); Win (+1) for Vargas

Clown Car (Joel) @ Gorillaz (Alex) 93-85

A solid week from the Clown Car, including a breakout 23 points by the Bears defense. But he would've lost, if Alex hadn't failed to insert Martellus Bennett in time for the Thursday night game. His emergency third string TE produced zilch, and while it doesn't fit the letter of the law for a DERPY trophy, it definitely earns it via its spirit. Joel has a sneaky good team as long as he can keep juggling/guessing his RB situation. Alex's Gorillaz have significant injury problems, but still do possess breakout potential. However, it's uncertain if they'll live up to it.

Win for Joel (+1); Loss, Roster Failure for Alex (-2)

Trebuchets (Paul) @ KoreaKillers (Mike) 113-91

Mike put up a decent total, but continued his streak of running into bad matchups. He also lost the #1 fantasy back CJ Spiller to injury - he won't be gone long, but by then Fred Jackson will return for a likely timeshare RBbC situation. Mike has powerhouse players, but he is thin at RB, perhaps more so than any other player. Paul had his breakout game, and is likely to keep fielding a streaky team.

Win for Paul (+1); Loss for Mike (-1)

Clown Car 3-0, +7 TPs (Trophy Points)
Magic 2-1, +2 TPs
Trebuchets 2-1, +0 TPs
JEST 2-1, +0 TPs
Badgers 1-2, +2 TPs
Gorillaz 1-2, -4 TPs
Cheesehead 1-2, -5 TPs
KoreaKillers 0-3, -4 TPs
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby David Yun on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Added note: It's not trophyable, but I think Paul might've snagged the best pickup of last week in Mikel Leshoure. He looks to be a lower tier three down back (not a dig at all) from thin air.
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby trebuchet on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19 am

Got him for absolutely nothin'.

Streaky, huh? Like your underwear streaky.
trebuchet

Next

Return to 2012