Procedural issue

Congratz Steve!

Procedural issue

Postby David Yun on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Kang brought up an excellent point awhile back, that the snake draft format serves no purpose for us moving forward, since we will all have functioning rosters. I personally agree.

I wasn't figuring on bringing this up until the offseason before next season's draft, but Steve brought up the issue that it affects the values of 2nd (and later) round draft picks that can be traded. These values are fluid until the end of the season anyway, but I do see his point.

Does anyone have any objection to dropping the snake draft format, and instituting a straight draft from this point on?
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Procedural issue

Postby Douglas_Haase on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 pm

How are draft positions determined?
Douglas_Haase

Postby David Yun on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 pm

champ = last
runner up = 2nd to last
other two playoff teams = next, tiebreaker regular season record then seasonal points
everyone else - reverse order of record, tiebreaker seasonal points
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Douglas_Haase on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:13 pm

I've never been a fan of "straight" drafts, but I've never played a full dynasty league before either.
Douglas_Haase

Postby trebuchet on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:05 am

Not a fan of the straight draft especially when we've traded 1-3 picks already. I say we postpone until the draft after this next one so owners who've been counting on the snake draft format to calculate their future draft positions aren't put out.
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby David Yun on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:15 pm

You really should have responded before strong arming my 2nd rounder then. This thread has been up awhile. Snaking only affects 2nd rounders. Yours to Oscar could end up almost anywhere, so "calculations" are impossible. I'll probably have low draft order (high 2nd in snake), but I'm only one game up on 3 other owners* so that's in no small amount of doubt either.

Edit: *6 other owners!, forgot to consider the other division
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby weather wizard on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:32 am

The snake method in redraft format is essential so you have a even draft with high parity. A straight order would unbalance a redraft league based on the luck of the draw.

However, now that the draft order in a dynasty league is based on reverse order of win/loss from the previous season, parity is promoted by giving the losing-est team the better picks. A snake format in a dynasty league's continuation draft would be counterproductive towards increasing league parity. A highly winning team would be given even treatment as a poorly winning team and thus no balancing force would be applied.

The real world sports league's draft are based on this concept. There's a reason why no one snake drafts in the real world sports leagues.

But nothing is more ridiculous than NBA ping pong balls. Nothing.
weather wizard

Postby Douglas_Haase on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 am

weather wizard wrote:
But nothing is more ridiculous than NBA ping pong balls. Nothing.

AMEN!
Douglas_Haase

Return to 2013