Webcomics Forum Organization

Give your feedback here!

Should the Dave the Direman, Squishy Comics, and Everwas forums be combined into one?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 10

Webcomics Forum Organization

Postby David Yun on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:21 am

It was suggested that the comics forums be combined together.

Pro: Bring the disparate communities together, and increase the potential for sharing and growing larger audiences. Simpler to have one forum.

Con: Mishmash of different sensibilities and topics. Could grow unwieldy as Direman Press publishes more webcomics.

Discuss it on this thread, and you may change your vote later if you are persuaded by a compelling argument.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Webcomics Forum Organization

Postby MadCat on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:45 am

I really see the three communities as being very different in terms of flavor and the content they will likely have, and I would rather keep them separate. Squishy, for example, already has quite a large amount of content, and is a very fun, 'hang-out' sort of forum with a particular feel. Everwas, by contrast, will likely deal with subjects not everyone may be comfortable with (as already seen on the Squishy Forums), and would probably be best left in its own separate section where those things can be discussed freely.
As I mentioned on the other thread, as well, I feel that separating the comics makes them too distinct from the rest of the content offered, and creates a sort of divisive feel; I would rather see all the content of the site given equal weight, and each comic given its own section to grow in.
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Dave on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:45 pm

Keep them separate. Y'all said it best elsewhere, each strip's thread carries equal weight to other content this way.

As for separate communities, I think of them more as "the same community" except that each thread's a different room. MadCat calls the Squishy thread a "hang-out" thread. So that's our lounge ;) We can wander over to Everwas whenever we wish to discuss lifes' struggles... or busty gals... *ahem*. Direman's thread suffers mainly because it reflects the creators, Dee and myself. This is a problem because Dee is already expressed throughout the site itself, and I'm mainly covered by Squishy. But I figure Direman's thread will come to life once there's a trigger strip, a strip which just BEGS to be discussed.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Yino on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:14 pm

I vote for merge them.
The squishy section gets more attention because most of us come from there and we are used to talk about it. When the new fans get in, the other comic topics will get more lively.
Plus as most of us come from the not so distant squishyland, the squishy section is almost a community section. For this I suggest a community topic where we can be a one big community, we obviously won't agree on everything, we won't have the same taste but that's something all the communities will have to deal with (even small ones like us).
Yay for democracy.
<insert signature>
Yino

Postby Theculter on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:21 pm

This is what I think.

You already have a section called Direman Press and also Appendix.

So have

Direman Press
-----------------
Subjects here that pertain to Direman Press

Comics
--------
Direman
Squishy
Everwas

Wallpaper
-----------
Direman
Squishy
Madcats (cat or cats can't remember which)
Selona

Short Stories
---------------
Subject about short stories

Games
--------
Game review information

Appendix
-----------
This that appends to Direman that doesn't fit in anywhere else.

This way everything is kept seperate but orginazed at the same time and also I believe this would help people find the section the are looking for easier.

Dee I don't know if you meant this or not, but if you did it's spelt out for everyone, if not this is the way I would have it.
Snooch to the nootch
Theculter

Postby David Yun on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:27 am

The problem with the Dave the Direman forum is that ALL of its readers simply got used to the old forums being shut down. I simply closed them because spammers had overrun it, and I figured I'd just start up a new one once the site relaunched. As many of you are aware, that took SIGNIFICANTLY longer than I'd intended.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby Parsifal on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:12 am

I've already cast my vote but shall state my preference here as well: Leave them separate. Let them continue growing as they have and give the readers the freedom to move from area to area as they please.
Parsifal

Return to Forums