Dick Cheney stands for "Detests Cetaceans"

What should I be voting for?

Dick Cheney stands for "Detests Cetaceans"

Postby SteveW on Thu May 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Or at least, that's the best I can figure. I've never had to think too much about the veep's initials before.

For over a year, the Vice President's Office has been blocking the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has been trying to impose a rule to protect the 400 remaining North Atlantic Right Whales - that ships in some East Coast waters limit their speed to 10 knots during some parts of the year. A major problem for these whales is ship strikes, which should be reduced if the ships' speeds slow.

There's an article in the Washington Post about it here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03189.html

I'm appalled, but I also think this incident reveals a great deal about how this administration doesn't believe the way government should work is the way most of us Americans have been taught in our government or civics classes. Instead of the technocratic departments of the government studying issues, recommending remedies to the executive to implement, apparently it is now the duty of the executive to re-study the issue the technocrats have already studied, regardless of whether they have any expertise in the area being studied.

My guess - the real issue for them is money, since time at sea is expensive, shipping companies like to have their ships move from port to port as fast as is practical. The Vice President's prespective is likely 'who cares if the whales die off as long as the shipping companies save thousands of dollars a day.'
SteveW

Re: Dick Cheney stands for "Detests Cetaceans"

Postby David Yun on Thu May 01, 2008 8:46 pm

I'd say that conclusion is stronger than a "guess". If framed in an "either or" situation, the bottom line will usually win out. What I find typical of the current administration in this story, is their pathological disingenuousness. Instead of simply ignoring/putting off the issue, or simply stating that the cost to industry would be too great...they bullshit. I don't mean "lie". All politicians lie. I mean, they "bullshit".
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Dick Cheney stands for "Detests Cetaceans"

Postby SteveW on Fri May 02, 2008 1:21 am

David Yun wrote:Instead of simply ignoring/putting off the issue, or simply stating that the cost to industry would be too great...they bullshit. I don't mean "lie". All politicians lie. I mean, they "bullshit".

Would it be fair to say that they lie so extravagantly that anyone who cares to do any fact-checking on the administration's statements feels the heat of contempt and scorn the administration believes people who check facts deserve?

Did you see this part of the article:
The World Shipping Council has campaigned to block the rule, but the Chamber of Shipping of America backs it. In an Aug. 24 letter, its director of maritime affairs, Kathy J. Metcalf, wrote White House officials that "the economic impacts associated with the proposed rule (assuming it includes a provision for increased speeds for safety of navigation) are well worth the benefits."

It seems like American shippers are even in favor of the rule!
SteveW

Return to Politics